WLP530: OK for a wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowmage36

Reaction score
So I'm prepping to brew my first AG batch on my new system and I want to do something light and Belgian-y. I'm planning on using WLP530 for the yeast, so I have a nice big cake ready to go for Liquid Stupid Day.

My question is this: Could I use WLP530 (Westmalle strain) to ferment a wit? Will it taste terribly different from what you'd normally expect of that style? I'm sure it'll still be tasty, but I was wondering if anyone out there had ever tried something like this before.

If not, well, I'm going to do it anyways, so I'll be sure to post results here for all to see and enjoy! :ban:

As long as you are okay with a Belgian Wit. I've had a few and they can be very good.

I've had a few and they can be very good.

Well, then, that settles it! :D It probably won't be as cloudy as a normal wit, but that's okay. As long as it gives me a good, healthy yeast cake, that's all I'm looking for. If the beer ALSO happens to be tasty, that's just an added bonus!

Aaaaaannnnd.....we're mashed in!

Actually, been mashed in for about 45 minutes now. 5 lbs of 2 row, 5 lbs of wheat malt, and a pound of rice hulls. Temp started at 149F, now we're down to 139F. Soooo...ten degrees over half the mash. Not terrible, but I would like to be able to get a little better next time. I think I'll have to pre-heat it a bit better next time. I'll continue updating as the brewday goes on.

Okay, we're sparged and in the kettle, and the kettle's up to 177F. Oh, how I love brewdays! :mug: :ban: :tank:

Latest posts

Back