Not carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
So I bottled a maple wheat (made with dried malt) at least 4 weeks ago. Put it in my closet to save space (first time I did that). Put one in the cooler three days ago and just opened it.... Nothing... Not one Bit of Carbonation.
Tastes good, no twang and defiantly maple flavor. Any ideas.

kevinlassen said:
So I bottled a maple wheat (made with dried malt) at least 4 weeks ago. Put it in my closet to save space (first time I did that). Put one in the cooler three days ago and just opened it.... Nothing... Not one Bit of Carbonation.
Tastes good, no twang and defiantly maple flavor. Any ideas.

At what point in the process did you add your carbonation sugar and how? Going to need more info to determine what went wrong and how to fix it.

Stated at 1.09 and bottled at 1,02. 2 cups of water 5 oz sugar to the bottom of the bucket before racking my secondary into it.

LabRatBrewer said:
How cool is your closet? What did you use for priming sugar?

No more than 70-75 degrees. I do t have a thermometer In there. I'm assuming is corn sugar. Really fine sugar. It's from my lhbs.

4 weeks at 70-75 ought to have carbonated it. Maybe that particular bottle had a bad seal. Try another? 1.090 seems like
a big wheat beer, maybe just give it a couple weeks more.

1.090 OG is a monster. Anyone with more experience think this could be due to poor yeast health? Maybe this is slowing things down?

How did you oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast?

I agree with Red. Sounds like a yeast issue. But it certainly could have been a bad seal and waiting is always great advice.

Maybe you can arouse the yeast a little by turning a bottle upside down, giving it a few days in the closet, putting it in the fridge for a few days, and then checking for carbonation. Just do one bottle though.

If that doesnt work, I guess you could continue waiting (which most would probably recommended) or you could reopen the bottles, put in carbonation tablets, and reseal the bottles.

Back