Fermentation temps after first week important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedRat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live in an apartment with wild temperature swings throughout the day/night. I've been fighting for two years to keep temps where I want them, but weather and roommate work against me. I got a mini fridge and controller, but now I'm limited to one controlled fermentation at a time. I've got an Elderberry Wine in it right now, that's about a week and a half into primary. I just got the last of my supplies for my first stout attempt and I'm itching to brew.

My question is, at what point do the temperature fluctuations have a lesser affect on the flavor? Once the primary fermentation is slowed can I put the first fermenter back in the living room, and start my beer in the fridge or should I let primary finish in a controlled state? With a beer I wouldn't worry about waiting and extra week, but I've had wines bubble away for months.

Back