Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrule

Reaction score
Is it safe to use the small oxygen tanks sold at hardware stores to oxygenate wort? If so, how long to you let them run to do a 5 gallon batch? Do you run it wide open, for how long?

zrule said:
Is it safe to use the small oxygen tanks sold at hardware stores to oxygenate wort? If so, how long to you let them run to do a 5 gallon batch? Do you run it wide open, for how long?

Yes it's safe. I run mine for 1 minute at what I would call a medium rate of bubbles, not wide open. I think if it's too fast the O2 will just bubble right out, not dissolving. I have the O2 kit from Williams, so it's going through a stone. No idea if the flow rate I use is enough or not since the actual flow is not being measured. All I know is that some O2 is making it into the wort.

I have read to open the O2 just enough to start getting bubbles, and then run it for 20 seconds for an average gravity beer. That's what I do, seems to work fine. 1+ to Williams, and the hardware O2 is fine.

:mug:

Either Whitelabs or Wyyest has a youtube video (I'm behind a work firewall, and can't find it for you!) where they test the viability of pure O2 and just shaking the keg. If I remember correctly, it was 90 seconds of pure O2 infusion and about 15 minutes of shaking to get to the proper PPM for optimum yeast health.

There's a thread on here where we discussed this, and I ran some bottled wort through a dissolved O2 meter. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but about 60s wide open for low-medium strength ales got me to about 10?ppm, and about 90-120s got me up to 15ppm for lagers. So I do 60s for regular ales, 90s for big boys, and 90-120 depending on the strength of the lager. Really big beers get the first dose and then another shot 8-12 hours later. If you can dig up the thread it's got a lot of good stuff in it.

Back