no head on 1st brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob D

Reaction score
hi everyone,
we finished our 1st brew and bottled it 7 days ago. we opened one up to try it,
and have no carbonation at all. just wanted to get different opinions on it.
thanx in advance.
Bob

need more specifics. how long was it in the primary? secondary? how did you prime (per bottle or in the whole bucket)?

at what temp did you let it sit for 7 days? sometimes it takes longer, especially if you put them in the fridge (they need to be closer to 70F to bottle condition an ale)

hey malkore,
7 days in primary, 14 days in secondary. stored at a temp of 75 degrees.
we primed the whole batch with priming sugar before we bottled it. the bottles were then stored at 75 degrees again for the final 7 days.i think you are right orfy, maybe we just haven't waited long enough. thanx for your answers. i'll check it again next week.

hi again.
malkore, we did primary fermentation for 7 days, secondary for 14 days, both at a
temp of 75 degrees. we then primed the whole batch with priming sugar and then bottled it. the bottles were stored at 75 degrees for 7 days. i think orfy might be right, maybe we didn't wait long enough.

Never worry so early on in the process. Time will probably cure this ill. Carbonation and fermentation can at times be a little mysterious. One day it will be watery and with no bubbles at all and the next it can be pure foam. Generally I like to wait two to three weeks to get a real idea of how it's going to be. Each yeast and each wort can react differently so don't sweat these things. Go out and buy a nice microbrew, sit back and relax as it your HB becomes ready.

Patience.

orfy said:
my opinion.

1 week is just a test.
2 weeks is normal.
3 weeks it should be done.
4 weeks if not done you have a problem

I agree except.... I open one at 2 or 3 days... just to make sure I haven't REALLY screwed something up!!!!!!

Bob, send me a 6 pack and I'll store it in an a properly controlled environment for 3 weeks, after that, I will be glad test a bottle a day and provide feedback. :D

RDWHAHB, be patient and start on your next batch. Fill the pipeline.

i appreciate it.
opened another 1 for a test and the bubbles are there!
patience paid off!
am now going to bottle 2nd brew-a porter, today.
and going onto second fermentation of a belgian trappist ale next week.
also working on a recipe for an amber ale...........
........my god, have i created a monster????
yes i have, and he likes homebrew!!!!!!!!!
thanx again to everyone,
Bob:mug:

Back