What's in my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCTitan

Reaction score
Looked at several bottles of the NB Innkeeper in the light and saw several particles floating around as well as things latched on the sides of the bottles. When bottled there where no signs of infection and the bottles were cleaned and sanitized properly. This is a British Bitter beer that when sampled a week ago after refrigeration was very clear on the pour into the glass. At that time I didn't look at the bottles in the light. The beer I believe tasted pretty bad after two weeks in the bottle. Strange because this is supposed to be a beer that received high ratings. I stuck a bottle in the frig after week three to see after a day or two if everthing suspends to the bottom of the bottle. Is this common with this style of beer? My West Coast Pale Ale is very clear in the bottle when I look at it in the light.

Note: Followed the instructions and no brain farts that I can remember with this batch. Fermentation temps were fine and kept in the low to mid 60's. The batch was kept in the primary for 30 days before bottling.

what is the "bad taste" like?

i see particles and small spots of yeast all over the bottom of my bottles, but there is no bad taste.

The suspended particles are most likely yeast and maybe hops. You are making unfiltered beer. It will always have some stuff floating in it. As for the taste, what did it taste like? Is it carbonated? What temp did you carbonate at?

Hard to explain this one. What I have been telling everyone is if you have ever brewed a Mr. Beer kit before those kits give off a certain flavor that pretty much inherent to all their kits. My guess it is the Mr. Beer yeast thats used that gives off that flavor. With this batch I used liquid yeast and did a starter before pitching. Very active fermentation for the first three days and temps were held in check. Going to see if everything suspends to the bottom after a couple days in the frig and then sample again. After three weeks in the bottle I am hoping on something much better than I had after two weeks with a kit that everyone swears is very good after a brew to drink duration of only four weeks. The kit is from NB and is called the Innkeeper.

It's not all that carbed due to the fact that I went by the style calc when I added the priming suger. To me it's not carbed enough with temps pretty much in the 65-68 range. I should have bumped up the corn sugar a bit.

Would those same particles latch to the side of the bottle?

Did you post pictures? I don't see any. I had wierd looking stuff stuck to the side of spearmint porter I made. I only found them in 3 bottles out of 18. They were about the size of an anise seed, maybe a bit smaller. I still have one, I think I "lost" the other two. I'm afraid to drink it though, it looks like some kind of bug larvae or something. I just figured I didn't clean my bottles well enough. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Back