Secret Santa Sour Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
This is a Sour Beer swap only! To join, you must have access to local/regional sour beer producers. I realize not everyone will be able to join because of this, but that is why this is a small offshoot of TheMan’s swap-o-rama. For a more inclusive swap, stay tuned for the swap-o-rama 6 from TheMan. Speaking of TheMan, thanks to him for letting this blatant copy of his idea take place. He came up with the format and I figured, why reinvent the wheel...

Here are the rules for the swap
- Total volume minimum is 66 oz of sour beer.
- At least 44 oz must be local/regional sour beer (or at least not distributed to your recipient’s state, use www.seekabrew.com to see what your recipient’s distro is)
- The remaining 22+ oz is your choice, but ideally a personal favorite of yours (does not need to be local/regional)
-Sour beer only. These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus. Take a look and understand the differences between category 17 and categories 16 & 18.
- Extra beer, brewery swag, or other weird regional staples are optional but encouraged.
-PM me your tracking info when shipped!

- You are to ship your box BY December 10th (I will have you your address by Nov. 25). That is two weeks to buy and ship.
- 100 post minimum to be eligible.

NEW MEMBER CLAUSE:
- I will allow 3 exemptions to this so as to allow some newer members entry. However, if you are one of the 3 under the 100 post minimum you will be expected to ship first. The member with your address will not ship until we have word that your package has landed safely. (If you are shipping to someone with over 100 posts you will ship as soon as you have your package ready, like normal)

To get in on the goods!:
When you post that you are in, PM me your name and address. You’re in.

I will cap this at 20 participants or whatever we have on Monday morning (Nov. 25), whichever we hit first. Once I have a list of all participants I will then randomly select who ships beer to who. You won't necessarily be shipping to the person that is shipping to you.

Once I have my list of who ships where, I'll pm each person their address. Keep this secret, it'll make it more fun! You will then be expected to ship your beer, abiding by the rules above. Please pm me your tracking number when shipped. We will all post our awesome hauls when received and enjoy!

Also, don't forget to leave iTrader feedback.

The forum is not responsible for anyone that abuses this swap, we all take equal risk in participating.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Participants:
1. mhurts111
2. Canti4341
3. Irrenarzt
4. Ivegot2legs - newbie spot #1
5. Coff
6. Absoluthamm
7. Brewbien
8. Blizzard
9. Tripplehazzard
10. Terrapinj
11. Indytruks138
12. Two_Hearted

Buh, I'll sit back and watch and be jealous, I am sitting out until January, if this goes well I'd love to get in on round two, Start the year off right sour swap :)

I'll play.

Alot of the sour beer what we get in Philly is from out of state, but we have somethings here. I think I can meet the requirements.

After doing more research, I kinda think I have access to more sour than I thought I did...still sitting out though.

This is a Sour Beer swap only! To join, you must have access to local/regional sour beer producers. I realize not everyone will be able to join because of this, but that is why this is a small offshoot of TheMan’s swap-o-rama. For a more inclusive swap, stay tuned for the swap-o-rama 6 from TheMan. Speaking of TheMan, thanks to him for letting this blatant copy of his idea take place. He came up with the format and I figured, why reinvent the wheel...

Here are the rules for the swap
- Total volume minimum is 66 oz of sour beer.
- At least 44 oz must be local/regional sour beer (or at least not distributed to your recipient’s state, use www.seekabrew.com to see what your recipient’s distro is)
- The remaining 22+ oz is your choice, but ideally a personal favorite of yours (does not need to be local/regional)
-Sour beer only. These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus. Take a look and understand the differences between category 17 and categories 16 & 18.
- Extra beer, brewery swag, or other weird regional staples are optional but encouraged.
-PM me your tracking info when shipped!

- You are to ship your box BY December 10th (I will have you your address by Nov. 25). That is two weeks to buy and ship.
- 100 post minimum to be eligible.

NEW MEMBER CLAUSE:
- I will allow 3 exemptions to this so as to allow some newer members entry. However, if you are one of the 3 under the 100 post minimum you will be expected to ship first. The member with your address will not ship until we have word that your package has landed safely. (If you are shipping to someone with over 100 posts you will ship as soon as you have your package ready, like normal)

To get in on the goods!:
When you post that you are in, PM me your name and address. You’re in.

I will cap this at 20 participants or whatever we have on Monday morning (Nov. 25), whichever we hit first. Once I have a list of all participants I will then randomly select who ships beer to who. You won't necessarily be shipping to the person that is shipping to you.

Once I have my list of who ships where, I'll pm each person their address. Keep this secret, it'll make it more fun! You will then be expected to ship your beer, abiding by the rules above. Please pm me your tracking number when shipped. We will all post our awesome hauls when received and enjoy!

Also, don't forget to leave iTrader feedback.

The forum is not responsible for anyone that abuses this swap, we all take equal risk in participating.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Participants:
1. mhurts111
2. Canti4341
3. Irrenarzt
4. Ivegot2legs - newbie spot #1
5. Coff
6. Absoluthamm

In like Flynn.

After doing more research, I kinda think I have access to more sour than I thought I did...still sitting out though.

Yeah, that's kinda what i was thinking...

I don't know how much I could pick up in a two week period that is not available elsewhere though. I think that's the real challenge here...

I bet some people would love to try temptation (me included). Why don't you join up?

It is 'tempting', but funds are running really low for me at the moment, especially with Christmas creeping up. If you don't get any, I could do a swap with you in January if you want. RR is typically hyper-expensive in Philly. Not sure what it goes for in Cali, but the bottle shop I know of that has them is at 19.97 each.

I had some sours from the Commons and Cascade at GABF (and/or What the Funk) and these were all really nice.

If you get me, please send me a strawberry, a tangerine and something from the Commons. Thanks!

Just kidding, surprises are better! But there are nice sours coming out of Portland for sure.

I had some sours from the Commons and Cascade at GABF (and/or What the Funk) and these were all really nice.

If you get me, please send me a strawberry, a tangerine and something from the Commons. Thanks!

Just kidding, surprises are better! But there are nice sours coming out of Portland for sure.

The Commons is probably my favorite brewery in Portland, they consistently make great beers. Cascade beers all have this similar taste/aroma that bothers me now, used to love them but now I can't get past it. It reminds me of this stuff... I think it has something to do with their house lacto strain.

With that list of bottled beers in your signature I would like to volunteer to be that not SoCal person....I suppose I would take some RR as well....:rolleyes:

Ha, yea lot of funky stuff in bottles. Some awesome, some meh, its how it goes. Ive been known to jam a homebrew into my trades.

I'm only finding Temptation in Philly any more...no more Supplication makes me a Mr. Sad Face

Yea it seems to be in waves you never see all of them on shelves at once. The Foodery had Temptation for $22 a bottle so I passed.

Yea it seems to be in waves you never see all of them on shelves at once. The Foodery had Temptation for $22 a bottle so I passed.[/QUOTE]

We have probably passed eachother in there on multiple occasions lol
Food and Friends on Spruce had it 19.97. The Foodery has a good selection but very expensive. My go-to shop is Monde Market, but they only have Damnation for now.

There's not much local in Philly for sours. It's going to have to be regional, including New York and New England. So hopefully this is more of an east coast/west coast swap.

I just picked up a bottle consecration, and I've got supplication (I think) before.

Edit for quoting errors

There's not much local in Philly for sours. It's going to have to be regional, including New York and New England. So hopefully this is more of an east coast/west coast swap.

I just picked up a bottle consecration, and I've got supplication (I think) before.

Edit for quoting errors

Tired Hands does a few, but it would be growler only. It is entirely plausible to ship a 64 oz growler and have it arrive well enough, fit for consumption. They use the flip top styles, not screw caps, so it handles the trip very well with a little help from clever tape wrapping.
I've bought Consecration, Supplication, Temptation and Sanctification before. Monk's Café has them, but they will not allow you to take off premises.

BeerMeDuffMan said:
Tired Hands does a few, but it would be growler only. It is entirely plausible to ship a 64 oz growler and have it arrive well enough, fit for consumption. They use the flip top styles, not screw caps, so it handles the trip very well with a little help from clever tape wrapping. I've bought Consecration, Supplication, Temptation and Sanctification before. Monk's Café has them, but they will not allow you to take off premises.

It seems like a growler would arrive flat. Never kept one around very long to test it.

The beer shoppe in Ardmore (near tired hands) has damnation and another RR normally.

It seems like a growler would arrive flat. Never kept one around very long to test it.

The beer shoppe in Ardmore (near tired hands) has damnation and another RR normally.

I got two howlers (32 oz growlers) in the last swap-o-rama and they did great. The caps had lots of tape wrapped around them to keep them sealed.

Yea it seems to be in waves you never see all of them on shelves at once. The Foodery had Temptation for $22 a bottle so I passed.

We have probably passed eachother in there on multiple occasions lol
Food and Friends on Spruce had it 19.97. The Foodery has a good selection but very expensive. My go-to shop is Monde Market, but they only have Damnation for now.[/QUOTE]

Its very possible, I am in there 3-4 times a week for about 6-7 years now. I get sandwiches for lunch from there often, and usually check to see what they have.

I live near Bottle Bar East, decent selection, I like that you can reserve beers on Facebook.

I make trips to Beer Heaven on Del Ave every few weeks. Good prices, awesome selection and it seems people still dont know about it. If you go, ask if she has Cantillon, if they do its behind the counter. Ive scored twice this way in 2013, but failed probably 15-20 times, lol.

The Commons is probably my favorite brewery in Portland, they consistently make great beers. Cascade beers all have this similar taste/aroma that bothers me now, used to love them but now I can't get past it. It reminds me of this stuff... I think it has something to do with their house lacto strain.

I agree the Cascade stuff is a little off compared to the clean sourness of the Commons stuff. I don't think the Commons is as acidic which makes it much more drinkable to me. I could have drank Commons beer all night but I can't say the same for the Cascade stuff.

Lacto can be a dirty little ***** sometimes.

Growlers absolutely ship fine. Its usually best if you can get the 32 ounce flip top. If they are screw top the black plastic ones are better as oxygen barriers, but just tape the lid really well, I have drank many a shipped growler and they are always tasty.

If you don't have this filled up by Sunday I'll probably join, I can fulfill the requirements without buying a single beer, and it would just be cost to ship, which is low with a light box, so I'll keep my eyes on this thread...

Latest posts

Back