Beer Tastes Unbalanced

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew36

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Dogfish Head 60 min clone. It fermented in primary for a week. I dry hopped and fermented in secondary for another ten days. It has now been bottle conditioning for 8 days. I tried a bottle at 5 days (because my curiosity got the best of me) and it was pretty flat as expected. I tried another at 7 days and the beer had a nice head but was still lacking in carbonation. I had another tonight and the carbonation is much better. However, it tastes slightly unbalanced. Hops are dominant and the malt taste is lacking. I know this is a hoppy beer and the beer could probably use a few more weeks aging. My question is will the hops mellow out a bit with time and bring out the other flavors that seem dormant right now?

Maybe.

But since it''s an IPA, and so a hop forward beer, it actually sounds like you nailed it just fine.

If you age it for a while, the hops will fade and the malt flavor will become more predominant.

Yes it will mellow with time. I would let it sit for a month and it should be good.

Usually, I can't get enough hops. But, I feel like a little bit more malt flavor would make this taste a lot better. Thanks for the replies!

Back