quick beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubicus360

Reaction score
I know that the best thing for beer is time. All my batches so far have also gone to the secondary. I was wondering if there was any style of beer that was better for primary only. I'm just thirsty.

I don't know about "better" without a secondary, but hefeweizens are fine without, largely because clearing isn't an issue. Problem is you still want to give them at least two weeks or three to finish fermentation in primary. So it may not really get from primary to tongue much faster.

:mug:Use a hydrometer to determine if your brew is done fermenting,as far as using a secondary,well a lot of people are skipping using a secondary and letting it stay and condition in the primary. I have not used a secondary and left it in the primary for 5 weeks with no problems. I believe unless you are brewing a lager or something that clarity is important,using a secondary is not that important.:mug:

I only secondary when I figure my beer needs more than a month to bulk age (ie: big beers).

Otherwise, 2-3 weeks primary, and off to bottling/kegging.

I like using secondaries because it sort of enforces patience on me. I'm not a patient person, so using a secondary is as much psychological as it is anything else for me.

I don't secondary for normal beers, under 1.060 usually.

The general rule is the lower the gravity quicker it is to drinking.

BYO have a pretty good article about fast beers on their website somewhere.

Back