So, how bad did my Johnson Controller screw me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednblack_500

Reaction score
So, here's post #1 gazillion about "my beer isn't fermenting after X days" but I think this is a legit question. Here's what happened: I have an A419 to control my chest freezer for fermentation. Apparently, it decided to go a little crazy yesterday right after I pitched WLP023 (Burtons) and it didn't like my 68 degrees setting. Instead it thought it should get to freezing. I was able to catch it at 55 degrees (fermenter temp) and let it slowly warm back up to high 60's over about 24 hours.

So, my question - obviously the Burtons doesn't play well at 55, but is there anything else I need to do to make sure the yeasties do their thing? My guess is the cold just shut them down and once they get back to their happy temp they'll start eating, but I just want to double check with the experts. I'm sure this a RDWHHB situation, but just wanted to run it by.

FYI - looks like my temp probe has a loose wire and I have it set to open on fail, hence the "run to freezing." I'll be changing that ASAP!

As always, thanks for your help!

Pitch some more if you can? Otherwise just wait. Left with those options I'd pitch more if I were able to. Yes, the cold shut them down. Someone else can weigh in as to if that will stall it for longer than normal due to shock

Give it a good stirring to resuspend the yeast once you have the wort to your desired temp and let them eat!!

It's in a BB but I did a solid shaking job on it. I can prob pitch more tomorrow if needed. I didn't use a starter so another vial should be fine, right?

It's in a BB but I did a solid shaking job on it. I can prob pitch more tomorrow if needed. I didn't use a starter so another vial should be fine, right?

Thanks all! I am now relaxing with a tasty HB! Glad it's ok cause the wort was damn good (Great Lakes Burning River clone)!

Back