2013 NHC Deadline-F**K!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for making me feel better.

Do they ever take additional entries at judging centers that might not be completely full?

From what I'm gathering from the little bit the AHA has released, they're going to sort out what they currently have after all the technical disasters. Once all the currently registered beers are accounted and verified paid for, remaining entries might be moved around from overfilled centers to different ones. And I'm guessing only once every registered entry is accounted for (whether paid for or deleted for lack of payment), only THEN will they open it back up for new entries. But they said they won't be deleting anything until they get the payment situation sorted out.

So there may still be a shot. But I don't know when it'd be. "A business day or more" is their wording, so who knows. And even then, I wouldn't hold your breath.

So how do we know their system won't keel over again when they re-open it for the remaining spots and there's another mad rush?

So how do we know their system won't keel over again when they re-open it for the remaining spots and there's another mad rush?

To be honest, with how overbooked some of the centers got, I'm doubtful there's any space left. I suppose it'll depend on how many drop for non-payment.

You know I was one of the lucky ones and got two beers in. First time entering the NHC but I have entered quite a few local/regional contests. Honestly though what makes the NHC so much different than any other well established BJCP comp? Do all these brewers really think they are going to win the Ninkasi? Like I said this is my first time entering the NHC so I will see how it goes but so far I seriously doubt I will enter next year.

I work at a job where the computers dont allow access to fun stuff like this. I got home at 330 yesterday afternoon and registration was already full. or crashed. or whatever. tried several times today to get on too. no national competition for me :(

Honestly though what makes the NHC so much different than any other well established BJCP comp? Do all these brewers really think they are going to win the Ninkasi?

I don't think anyone that is entering one or two entries has any delusions about winning a Ninkasi. It's kinda hard to win a Ninkasi when you only want to enter a couple beers.

The draw for me is the level of judging and the level of competition. I've entered local comps only to receive score sheets by Joe Schmoe and his buddy. I enter competitions in order to get constructive feedback. One word descriptors is not what I consider constructive feedback.

I don't think anyone that is entering one or two entries has any delusions about winning a Ninkasi. It's kinda hard to win a Ninkasi when you only want to enter a couple beers.

The draw for me is the level of judging and the level of competition. I've entered local comps only to receive score sheets by Joe Schmoe and his buddy. I enter competitions in order to get constructive feedback. One word descriptors is not what I consider constructive feedback.

Absolutely agree!! That is why I only enter BJCP comps that have a good track record. Here in SoCal there are a number of comps that are every bit as competitive as the NHC and the same BJCP guys judge both comps.
I just feel bad for brewers who brewed beers months ago in anticipation of the NHC and they get shut out.

It's a shame that maybe the best beer may not even make it into the NHC. I'm sure mine isn't but I bet the best beer isn't registered. I too was shut out of competition. I will have to drink my Cream Ale, Northern Brown Ale, and Bourbon Oak Old Ale instead of giving up bottles to be judged. Well more for me!

Back