Is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macdonald87

Reaction score
I am doing a Brewhouse Kit and I have my Hyhdrometer right in my Carboy and its Been stuck at 1.020 since I transferred into the second.

Primary Start 12/3/12 S.G 1.046
Transfer to Secondary 12/8/12 O.G if 1.020

Now its sitting at 1.020

Constant temperature of 20-22*C

Why did you tansfer after only 5 days? It was probably needing more time in the primary fermenter. About 90% of my beers all stay in the primary for about 10 to 14 days depending on how long fermentation takes. In the rare event I transfer to a secondary, I don't transfer until fermentation is COMPLETE. What is the FG supposed to be? What style of beer?

Gary

Kit says Day 3-5 Transfer into Secondary

Doesn't say a specific F.G Just said S.G (1.040-4.050) than Transfer to Secondary Day 3-5 (1.020 or Lower)

And a Brew House Stout

After you pitch the yeast into a kit, Throw Away the instructions. The yeast will do what it wants to do, when it wants to, and will finish when it wants to. Timelines given in kits are mostly to be ignored.

Lots of extract its stop at 1.020. It has to do with the balance of fermentables to non-fermentables in the extract.

Also, you said your hydrometer is IN the carboy? It may have some bubbles stuck to it from fermentation giving a false reading. It may be difficult to read it correctly through curved glass.

I think most people would believe that 1.020 is too high for this beer. If you intend to carbonate in the bottle, I strongly suggest that you do not use the full amount of priming sugar in the recipe. If you add it, the yeast you can't see swimming around in the beer will wake up and finish up in the bottle. Now you got leftover maltose + priming sugar: Gushers, or worse-BOOM!
There's probably somebody that has a formula or calculator on here or online. Otherwise, I would pitch some fresh high gravity yeast from a small starter at high krausen.

With an OG of 1.046 the ABV is pretty low, so I'm not sure that a high gravity yeast is going to do much more. However, a highly attenuative yeast might help. Also when bottling I don't think that adding sugar will cause the yeast to convert any more long chain sugars such as maltos that they haven't already converted.

if you want to "fix it" here. Are the top ten ways to restart fermentation:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-ways-to-restart-fermentation.html

WoodlandBrew said:
With an OG of 1.046 the ABV is pretty low, so I'm not sure that a high gravity yeast is going to do much more. However, a highly attenuative yeast might help. Also when bottling I don't think that adding sugar will cause the yeast to convert any more long chain sugars such as maltos that they haven't already converted.

if you want to "fix it" here. Are the top ten ways to restart fermentation:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-ways-to-restart-fermentation.html

What he said. And knew where to look.

It was a "extract" Kit i presume,

I added 8 liters of water to it. And than pitched the yeast that came with it.

It was a "extract" Kit i presume,

I added 8 liters of water to it. And than pitched the yeast that came with it.
Liquid malt extract, as opposed to dry malt extract, is known for not being very fermentable. Most "extract" kits use liquid malt extract, so this could be part of the problem.

Back