Using An Old Refrigerator As A Lager Cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but ...
I just bought a new refrigerator, and put the old one in my garage. I plan on using that one, in part, as a lager cellar, as the temp. can be controlled constantly. The problem is, I live just outside of Chicago, where the winters can be pretty brutal. What will the weather do to the compressor and inner temp. of my old 'fridge ? I intend on keeping it plugged in year round.

No effect.

Do plan on adding a brewbelt, lightbulb or other similar heating apparatus and a Ranco controller to keep the temperature warm when the outside is below your target temperature.

Ive seen a lot of people keep there freezers outside during the cool/winter months. Reason is that when the temp drops below the thermostat setting the compressor doesnt have to work. So.........warm months=good idea cold months=bad idea at least for lagering.

I keep my freezer outside and have a lightbulb in it when it gets colder than I want it to.

Back