Greetings from Pickerington, Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyecarl

Reaction score
Hello all - i'm a new member and a new brewer. I've been learning about the process for about six months from a vetern brewer and buddy and decided i was ready to jump in so i purchased my supplies and came home to make my first batch - a Kolsch - which is in it's primary carboy right now. Anyway - i hope to meet some others locally and maybe find or start a local brew club.

Thanks for having me - i've already lurked quite a bit and i apprecaite the good info you guys have posted!

Carl

Welcome to HBT! Whereabout in Ohio is Pickerington?? In regard to homebrewing, your wallet is going to be anorexic for a while.

p town is east of cbus, right after reynoldsburg. it used to be cornfields and is now just a bunch of overpriced houses. welcome to HBT!

Welcome to the madness from a fellow noob. My first batch is actually still in the box :( I live in Merion Village (just south of German Village) and my only advice so far is stay away from The Winemakers Shop in Clintonville, $4.25 an ounce for hops????? OUCH!!!

Welcome to the sweet obsession, Carl!

I always buy online but have visited Winemakers and Gentiles both a couple time. Def like Gentiles better!

Thanks for the welcomes. I went to check out Winemakers before i posted this, and yes, i immediately felt like I was being down upon for asking about brewing beer. The prices were high and they were just rude. I actually bought all of my supplies at Great Fermentations in Indianapolis - and that place was a brewers heaven. I'll probably be buying from them online.

welcome buckeye carl! I am surprised you had a bad experience at the Winemaker. Nina (the owner) is very knowledgeable about brewing and everything they have is WAYYYY fresher that Gentiles. I do occasionally buy things at gentiles but prefer the quality from the Winemaker. Nina and her husband, Scot Francis own Barleys brewhouse's in town. Anyway, welcome and cheers!

welcome buckeye carl! I am surprised you had a bad experience at the Winemaker. Nina (the owner) is very knowledgeable about brewing and everything they have is WAYYYY fresher that Gentiles. I do occasionally buy things at gentiles but prefer the quality from the Winemaker. Nina and her husband, Scot Francis own Barleys brewhouse's in town. Anyway, welcome and cheers!

Perhaps Nina needs to work on her customer service skills. I've been in there twice now and was the only customer in the store at the time and she made it feel like I was the only person in the store. Her hops better have been airlifted in from the farmer to justify charging an extra 1.25 per ounce!!!! I really don't see how you can say it's WAYYYY fresher when grain doesn't deteriorate much unless it's crushed and the hops are stored in the cooler in airtight bags and the yeast I got from Gentile's was only 2 weeks from bottling. I needed a wine thief so I bought one, but that's the last penny she'll see out of me. Guess I can scratch Barley's brewhouse off my places to see while I'm at it.

This is seriously the only positive review I've heard of the shop and am assuming you know them personally. I only go in extreme emergency and expect to walk in, be ignored, by my stuff, hand them my house deed and walk out feeling like I'm the jerk for wasting her time buying something.

Guess I can scratch Barley's brewhouse off my places to see while I'm at it.
I agree with everything you said here expect, Barleys. Partly. I went to the one on Dublin Road. The beer was pretty dang good.
But the bartender was very rude behind that bar. Excuse me for asking questions about the beer I' drinking and for inquiring about prices to get growlers filled and kegs filled, but you work at an F'in brewhouse that offers those services. He started off acting like he knew everything about beer, but then had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for a pint of the RIS. I had to say, sorry, the Russian Imperial Stout. Then he could not answer any of my questions about the beers in general such as hops used and what not. You work as THE bartender at a brew Pub, maybe learn something about the beers you're serving.

But the 3 I had were good and I had my first Cask beer which was good.

I agree with everything you said here expect, Barleys. Partly. I went to the one on Dublin Road. The beer was pretty dang good.
But the bartender was very rude behind that bar. Excuse me for asking questions about the beer I' drinking and for inquiring about prices to get growlers filled and kegs filled, but you work at an F'in brewhouse that offers those services. He started off acting like he knew everything about beer, but then had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for a pint of the RIS. I had to say, sorry, the Russian Imperial Stout. Then he could not answer any of my questions about the beers in general such as hops used and what not. You work as THE bartender at a brew Pub, maybe learn something about the beers you're serving.

But the 3 I had were good and I had my first Cask beer which was good.

That cements my decision. Having bartended my way through college and most of my 20's NOTHING pisses me off more than a rude incompetent bartender!!! Maybe a rude store owner.......

Welcome to the board.. dont forget to check out the Ohio Brewers group. Unlike most of the other groups ive joined .. people actually post on this one!! :p

Back