Ideas for hotels in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
I'm going to Siebel for two weeks in November, and I'll need to stay in the downtown/Lincoln Park area, or at least close to a line that can get me to Claybourne so I can get to school.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't think a Hostel will work for me because I snore very loud and I don't think I could deal with it.

Just stayed at the Seneca. Right off Michigan, next to the Hancock building. We had a suite, which was great for the price. Our room was a touch shabby, but our friends a few floors up had a newly rennovated room.

I really enjoyed teh Chickago Congress Hotel

I got a Priceline deal on it, ended up with a top floor room facing Grant Park during Taste of Chicago week, for $55/night!!! I recall it taking about 4 minutes to get to an EL stop from the front door.

CongressHotel-Apr08-002a.jpg

This aged hotel is what I like to call an "historic" property. It is just a glorified way to calling it old. Sure, it had its heyday when it housed political leaders and movie stars, but that was decades ago. It was opened in 1893 for visitors to the Columbian World's Exposition, and was renovated in 1998. Now it serves as a home base for business people on a budget, backpacking Europeans who do not want to stay at a hostel, prom dates, and various touring groups like jazz bands and soccer clubs.
The hotel has 14 floors and 851 simply appointed rooms, including 50 deluxe suites. A standard room is plain but reasonably comfortable; it actually reminded me of my old apartment for some reason, so it is not too bad. The rooms have hairdryers and coffeemakers. Some of the grander suites have marble bathrooms with Jacuzzis. The rooms facing east will have excellent views of Lake Michigan. Clinton J. Warren designed the older north tower, with Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler as consultants (they designed the great Auditorium Theater across the street). The south tower dates from 1902-1907 and was designed by the noted architectural firm Holabird and Roche.

There is also a small convention center for large meetings, including the appropriately named Gold Room. The vaulted ceiling of this grand space was designed by William Dodge and meticulously restored by Lido Lippi in 1997 (Lippi's work includes the Sistine Chapel restoration). The Gold Room, which had served as the prestigious site of presidential nominations, is now used mainly for banquets and wedding receptions.

The hotel is across the street from the acoustically famous Auditorium Theater, one of the anchors of South Michigan Avenue (the hotel was actually connected to the theater years ago). You are close to the Buckingham Fountain, Grant Park, and various museums. You are not as close to the shops around North Michigan Avenue, but if you do not feel like walking you can hop on a bus or taxi. It is one of the closer hotels to McCormick Place, which is not saying much because only the Hyatt is connected to this isolated lakefront convention center.

The Congress Plaza mostly makes news nowadays when a water pipe bursts on rare occasions. The walk through the main floor is highlighted by the high-ceiling reception area, but the rest of the floor is dreary as you pass a diner, bar, video game room, and small sitting areas. There is a gift shop on the main level. A small fitness room is located in the basement level.

Scope Craigslist for a short term sublet. You could probably bag a fully furnished place for at or less than $1000.

There aren't really any reasonable (or well known) hotels near or with convenient access to the classroom, you'd be looking at atleast $100-$150/night (over 14 days you'll be pushing $2k most likely more depending on how close to thanksgiving you'll be here)

Does Siebel have any resources or leads?

Does Siebel have any resources or leads?

yeah, they have a list, but the rooms all run at about 120-150 a night. If I do a package deal through travelocity or orbitz or something, I can make some things happen.

The scholaship I won is giving me 1000 bucks. I can go more than that no problem, but I need a plane ticket as well, and I heard rumblings of a festival of barrel aged beer, and I'll need to eat that week, too, so I'd like to keep the room at about 80 a night. But I will bend for the right deal. :) I can honestly afford a little more if I plan right, so I'll do what I have to do, but I am trying to be reasonable.

Seriously, I'd put an ad on Craigslist looking for a 2-3 week sublet in a furnished apartment in November. Tell them it's worth 400-600 depending on location. The El stop nearest Sieble/Goose Island is the Red Line Clybourn (about 6-7 blocks away) you could stay anywhere along the red line and have easy access.

Seriously, I'd put an ad on Craigslist looking for a 2-3 week sublet in a furnished apartment in November. Tell them it's worth 400-600 depending on location. The El stop nearest Sieble/Goose Island is the Red Line Clybourn (about 6-7 blocks away) you could stay anywhere along the red line and have easy access.

yeah. I just looked at the CL listings and it looks pretty ideal. I will have to do that closer to September, I'm thinking.

You can always "reserve' at a hotel and schop CL until you find the right deal. most hotels don;t ding you unless you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, (but that would negate the use of orbitz, expedia et.al.)...

Let us know when you're in. We chicago HBTers have been known to grab a beer or 6 with out-of-towners...

You can always "reserve' at a hotel and schop CL until you find the right deal. most hotels don;t ding you unless you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, (but that would negate the use of orbitz, expedia et.al.)...

Let us know when you're in. We chicago HBTers have been known to grab a beer or 6 with out-of-towners...

Oh, you'll hear me coming. Trust me. There are enough bars I want to see there to make it worth while.

Back