Another dry hopping question/dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorHops

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips or techniques for dry hopping? I've been dry hopping my IPAs with various combinations of hops at the rate of about 3 1/2- 4 1/2 ozs for 10 days in the primary. I don't drop them in until 10 or 11 days after fermentation has begun.

My problem is that I can never get the aroma to stand out past about a week after the carbing and conditioning phase. It amost seems like a waste of hops when you can't enjoy the aroma for more than a week. I've tried moving to a secondary for dry hopping but didn't feel the results were worth it. I also already do a 2-2 1/2 oz flameout addition. :confused:

I assume that you bottle. Maybe try to leave the hops in there for a little longer, 2+ weeks or so? Has this happened with different varieties of hops? Different farms/brands?

If you kegged I would suggest leaving the hops in the keg for the entire time it is on tap. That’s what I do and usually the last pour is the hoppiest!

Also, how are you dryhopping? Just throwing them in the primary? Some people like to put them in a bag with marbles or other heavy foodsafe material so they sink and stay submerged the entire time.

A third thought that came to mind is that maybe fermentation is still active after 10-11 days and the co2 is driving out some of the aroma (this is probably unlikely but I figured I’d mention it).

I just made an ipa and racked onto maybe 3oz o hops in the secondary and left that for two weeks and had good aroma might just need to have it sit a little longer. How long is it in the primary?

What's the temp of the secondary when you dry-hop? You'll get better extraction at 60-70F. Also, if you can, rouse/stir the hops with co2; the movement will help oil extraction but you need to avoid introducing more oxygen.

Back