Half Coupling problem, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighTide

Reaction score
So after getting my keg welded up with couplers. I went to attach the water heater element to the 1" half coupler and realized that it was welded in backwards, I guess i forgot to mention it was only a half coupler to the welder. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this?
I figure I have two options. One get it removed and rewelded which is a hassle. Two, try to cut it short to get it flush with the keg hoping its where its not tapered.

Maybe buy/find/borrow/hire a tap and tap it all the way through from the inside so you don't have to worry about the threads lining up. Or maybe contact the welder who did the job he might have a trick or two up his sleeve. The thought of this makes me shudder, I'll be getting two kettles welded soon and I think I would freak out a little to face what you are. Good luck, I hope you figure something out.

Buy or borrow a 1" NPS (national pipe straight) tap and run the tap from the inside out. The electric elements are NPS threads so it should work fine if not better than the NPT coupling. I found a 1" NPS tap on ebay for relatively cheap - certainly cheaper than rewelding the couplings.

Back