Got an extra smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujieagle

Reaction score
Can a fellow smoker please tell me which brand often has an extra cig in the pack? I've been a smoker for about 30 years now and I have never bought a pack that had an extra smoke in it. The one thing I can't stand is when someone asks me if I have an extra smoke. I will usually take my pack out of my pocket, look at it and then inform them that the pack only had 20 cigs in it when I bought it so no, I don't have an extra one and put the pack back in my pocket. The look from the hapless non-equipped smoker is always priceless. They then usually will ask again. Process repeated. After 2 times, they usually get it and will ask if they can borrow or bum a smoke. No you can't borrow one because I know you won't give it back. I may let you bum one depending on your attitude at this point. I have never been able to figure out how a smoker can not have smokes. Smoking is a serious addiction. Smoking is getting more expensive everyday. If you can't afford or don't have the forethought to be prepared to feed your addiction, give it up. Oh, and if you are asking me for a smoke, at least have your own G*&$%^n lighter!:mad:

Damn that is a bitter post, relax some fujieagle.

Are you that tight on cash that you cannot spare one cigarette? If you can't afford or don't have the forethought to be prepared to give up one smoke every once in a while then maybe smoking isn't worth getting all worked up about. :D It is pretty annoying when it happens to me but I would rather give one up and get another beer :mug:

I use smokeless tobacco and on the rare occasions I run out at work and have to bum I try bring in a new can the next day for the hapless soul I had to hit up for a dip. They do not seem to mind me bumming from them on these occasions.

It's mostly the guys that always seem to want to smoke but never have any. There's one guy at work that bums 3-4 aday but every week, he buys me a pack. He's trying to quit and doesn't want to carry them himself. I'm cool with that but it's the guys that always seem to never have any and always ask for one that get under my skin.

There is an easy way to avoid these annoying occurrences......stop smoking.

Sorry....common sense, reason, and the fact that there is not one redeeming quality that smoke or smokeless tobacco consumption provides, forced me to say it.

I was always amazed at guys in the Navy that "quit" just before a deployment. They always spent the entire trip begging/borrowing/bumming, sometimes even buying them at insane prices. There were also always a few who purchased extras before deploying.

I too got annoyed with people who constantly try to bum smokes, especially those that are "quitting" by the "OPS" (other people smokes) method

People are idiots. I concur with the OP.
Sometimes I even remind them to buy me a pack. They do sometimes, but it pisses me off too.

I used to have a similar problem with my buds back in high school but, we were smokin those left handed smokes you can't get from the store :p Ah... the good 'ol days :p

My brother and I used to collect the butts from ashtrays, sprinkle the unused tobacco out of them, and roll our own with a rolling machine. We'd also buy a can of Bugler when we had the cash, but cash was hard to come by back then.

I don't smoke now. But I still think about those days, toking on a home-rolled while fishing on the Maumee River for walleye. Ah, to be 6 years old again.

Considering how much cigarettes cost, I think the OP is totally justified. Next time someone asks to bum one from you ask to bum a dollar from them.

Considering how much cigarettes cost, I think the OP is totally justified. Next time someone asks to bum one from you ask to bum a dollar from them.

I generally do this. I have quit 99.5%. Its just the occasional bad work day that drives me back to my dark lord.

I usually ask if i can BUY a smoke and hand over 50 cents. Most people decline, but least then i dont feel like a bum and they dont feel like i am taking advantage of them.

You KNOW its a bad day at work when i am buying a Virginia Slim Menthol Light 100 Ultra. It is the closest i have come to becoming a headlining drag queen.

I generally do this. I have quit 99.5%. Its just the occasional bad work day that drives me back to my dark lord.

I usually ask if i can BUY a smoke and hand over 50 cents. Most people decline, but least then i dont feel like a bum and they dont feel like i am taking advantage of them.

You KNOW its a bad day at work when i am buying a Virginia Slim Menthol Light 100 Ultra. It is the closest i have come to becoming a headlining drag queen.

Whats hilarious and sad at the same time is when someone offers you money for a cigarette and you actually take them up on the offer, then they look at you dumbfounded and go searching through their pockets for a dollar as if they expected you to say "its fine just take one".

Back