Favorite Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastySalmon

Reaction score
I want to get into using spices and dried fruits, etc. I am curious what everyone's favorite spices are. Are there any spices that you mash?

Let me be clear that I am NOT looking for spices to replace ester characteristics. Every time a commercial brewery uses spices to replace the traditional ester characters of yeasts (think true German hefeweizen and various Belgians) it makes me cringe.

Thanks!

I have used cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and coriander in a few brews. I always add my spices at flameout.

I've used cinnamon, ginger, coriander, grains of paradise (the last two probably not spices), and cardamon already. All have gone in no earlier than the last 15 minutes; some at about 2-3 minutes left in the boil. I have never seen any spices that get mashed because, from what I know, there are no sugars in spices that need conversion.

As for fruits, I would suggest trying whole, fresh fruit instead of dried. You'll get a better flavor from fresh.

Back