Kitchen with open shelving...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I am working on a kitchen renovation project and am tempted to consider open shelving uppers, or at least have some of them that way.
Some folks seem to fear dust and such. Main benefit to me: not have to deal with cab doors.

Anybody with such shelving in their kitchen?

I do not, but like the idea. Cabinet doors are a PITA, especially cheaply made ones.

You can get plenty of dust in a closed cabinet.

Could work, if you have very organized and pretty cabinets, I know none of ours are ones I'd want to see open all the time, a much cleaner look with doors. We have really nice cabinets though.

mine you need to brace yourself never know whats going to come flying out at ya... hard to be neat and tidy when everyone works 50 -60 hours a week

OK, not all the kitchen would be open shelving, and the ones that are would have glasses, dinner plates, bowls, the kind of things that can be kept somewhat neat.

Cereal boxes and other stuff like that stays in "doored" cabinets.

I know a family that has the open cabinet thing going. It might have looked okay when they did not have kids and all of their dishes were white porcelain, but they now have two kids. Their cabinets are loaded with all kinds of kid dishware that is a wide range of colors and depict a wide variety of princesses and super heroes, and honestly, it looks extremely cluttered and unorganized now.

Umm, find a different source for the handles? Or get a contractor account and save off of retail?

I was at a hardware store yesterday and they had a bin of pulls (all the same) 10/$1.00.

I have lived in a house with no cabinet doors and I hated it. Gotta hide that mess

has some one who works in kitchens everyday putting in countertops,unless its a cabinet used to display item(s)i think it would look kind of weird to have all cabs without doors.just my just my 2 cents though, to each their own.

Not to mention painting cabinet doors is a pain the arse. But personally my 2 year old would use your dishes as target practice. Not sure if you have kids or plan to but something to consider.

the biggest problem i have with cabinet drawers/doors: i need to buy over 50 knobs. and at arround $3 for a simple stainless knob at hd, it's gonna be spendy! my house got built with no handles on any of them.. dumb and cheap builders...
Buy just a few at a time. Although you may get to the last few and find them out of production :)

Not to mention painting cabinet doors is a pain the arse.

Cabinet doors are easy and small. Unless you have lots of routing detail I guess.

Back