How long will kegged beer stay good once its neen tapped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwirthlin

Reaction score
I picked up a keg of Sierra Nevada ruthless rye and I don't have a kegerator set up yet. I've got the fridge space to keep the keg in, but I'll be using a party tap for the time being. If I untap the keg when I'm done using it, how long can I expect the beer to stay good? I understand that by using a party tap I'll be pumping air in to the keg so it's going to drastically reduce the life of the beer as far as oxidation and going flat, but what kind of time frame can I expect? Days, weeks? Thanks for the help.

image-426141381.jpg

image-99753087.jpg

With a party tap you aren't going to want to let that sit more than a day or so. Unless you are having a big party (is that 1/2 bbl?) I would strongly urge you to get a proper co2 setup.

kpr121 said:
With a party tap you aren't going to want to let that sit more than a day or so. Unless you are having a big party (is that 1/2 bbl?) I would strongly urge you to get a proper co2 setup.

Yeah it's a 1/2bbl. Not having a big party, but maybe i should plan one hahaha. I'm definitely planning on getting a co2 system.

Drink some of those homebrews while you wait to get your co2 system. You do NOT want to start serving on a hand pump unless there's a good chance it will be gone that night

Going to try to pick up a co2 setup tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have one at my LHBS

A hand pump will replace beer volume with air (oxygen) to pump the beer out, no bueno as this will oxidize the beer, save it for your CO2 system or party hard and kick 'er quick.

I got all my stuff and hooked it up last night. I just need to, get the tank filled and I'm all set.

image-2306184056.jpg

image-3453904756.jpg

Back