Low ferm temps for Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
I finished building my Fermentation cooler last week and just in time I might add. Here in Florida it's been getting warmer. I have an American Pale Ale that's been in the Ferm cooler for about 7 days( average temp 64 F). But was first started ( 3 days) at temps around 72-76 F. It's been fermenting a total 10 days. I will check my gravity soon and am going to bottle when it's all good. Just looking for input to see if lower temps make the beer better. By the way I can get my ferm cooler at around 55 F with outside temps around 80 F. I think I can go lower on the temp but am having problems with my thermostat.

In the broadest sense, yes, lower temps are generally better. Some styles (Belgians, hefeweizens) will be missing certain fruit esters that are important to the style if the temp is too low, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

You'll usually get the cleanest results from fermenting near the bottom of the recommended temp range for your yeast strain. You will tend to get very slow ferments and possibly poor attenuation if you go below the recommended range by more than a degree or two.

If you have temp control, a good rule of thumb is to adjust the ambient temp to the low point (or one degree below) of the recommended range for your yeast strain. Active fermentation will be a few degrees warmer than the ambient temp.

I would stay within the yeast manufacturers recommended temp range during fermentation. Play with temps in the secondary or during conditioning. Just my 2 cents.

I built a cheap styrofoam cooler box, no electricity, and stuck a meat thermometer throught the side. It isn't ideal, but it's cheap and it works, just gotta keep an eye on it, check it a few times a day. Keeping temps down during primary will result in a "cleaner" tasting beer.

I'd be careful with some strains. I've fermented some beers with highly flocculant yeast at the low end of the temp range and the yeast dropped out too quickly. For these yeasts strains I would stay in the middle of the recommended temp range. On the other hand, I've fermented 1056 at 60 degrees and had no problems at all.

Back