Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bit confused about Final Gravity. Should your final gravity reading be after it has fermented in your primary or after the secondary or before bottling. I have a bass clone that has been in the primary for a week with a starting gravity of 1.050 and the instructions from my LHBS states that I should rack at 1.021 and bottle at 1.013 but If I'm not mistaken I have read that I should not rack until I hit the final gravity because there should be no fermentation taking place in the secondary. If someone could clear this up for me it would greatly be appreciated.

I take gravity readings every time I transfer my beer. I'd recommend you take a reading before racking to see if fermentation is complete. If it is, go ahead and rack (personally I never rack until my beer is done). Then take another one before adding priming sugar (sometimes the gravity will change slightly in secondary). That's what I do and it works pretty well for me.

Back