Fermentation "box"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atietyen

Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice from anyone that has made what id call a a fully enclosed fermentation box. The goal would be to have a box large enough to house 3-4 glass carboys and have a double wall with spray insulation and a digital controller hooked up to my heating belt to keep the box warm in winter. Id store it in my basement so it'd be at 68-70 consistently in summer. If you have made anything like this please send your photos or any suggestions you have. The question i havery is it necessary to have a hole at the top to let co2 out? Id imagine not but just curious if you have 4 active fermentations going at once.

Plenty of people have done that....my impression is that by the time they are done buying lumber, fasteners, and insulation they could have found a cheap chest freezer off of Craigslist for less time/money. However, some people like the DIY at any cost and for a custom solution.

Speaking of which, what are your plans for keeping it cool? If your basement is 70 your fermenting beer is going to be 75-80 which is too warm for most ales. It will probably be even higher in an insulated box.

Search the site for "Fermentation Chamber" and you will find plenty of ideas. I'm in the planning stage for mine!

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

Broadbill- thanks for the extra thought. I will need to devise a way to chill it. I have some ideas but honestly i didn't think of that until you said it. Id love to buy a chest freezer but there is no way that puppy could get into my basement.

For cooling, you can use a small a/c unit mounted in the box with a temp controller wired into it.

Here is mine. Total cost was just under 100, including the temp controller build.
5931204131_27022a7a98_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_4453 by elpenoso, on Flickr[/IMG]

5931761274_a5abb8c6b5_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_4454 by elpenoso, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back