Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was joshing ya.. Anyhow, did anyone listen to link 80 back in the day? I guess you'd call them hardcore ska punk. Awesome stuff, even better shows

Yeah sorry about that, ill leave the dog out of it. Anyone buy any new 7s or splits lately?

Heave been listening to alot of 55 on the dime by the minutemen and some dicks as well.

Dogs are pretty punk rock in my opinion. With that being typed I'm sad because I had to find a new home for my dog... :(

Had the chance to see Rancid last night in AC, my buddy who wanted to go was nowhere to be found. I couldn't drive myself. Spent the day drinking Imperial IPA, was a bit drunk. ;)

I saw them in 2001 (2?) In austin and it was great fun! Not preachy with a wild pit

ALWAYS wanted to see Rancid but they don't come around here too often. Gonna have to go to a show one of these days.

Dogs are pretty punk rock in my opinion. With that being typed I'm sad because I had to find a new home for my dog... :(

Sorry to hear that man.

I tried putting in a video of Agnostic Front's - Pauly the (beer drinking) dog to help ease the pain but it didn't work

I listened to ASOB. Not bad. I dig some ska/punk.

And one of my favorites (Vans seem to be the only comfortable shoes that don't wear out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay from suicide machines has a band called Hellmouth now. Its alright, played with them at a really ****ty venue in columbus. A guy from my band set up the show and it was awful. That being said they were good, it was better when we saw them play some kids garage in dayton.

The hardcore band? I'm digging this!

Yeah they had the album worship nothing destroy everything (i believe). My buddies were geeking out cause they loved suicide machines. We werent playing punk houses at the time. Can only hope theyll let us host them in the future. Doubt it though.

The thing with Social Distortion (at least to me) is they only had one album where they brought it all together.

What I'm talking about is on their earlier releases the music was amazing but the lyrics were lackluster. Lyrics like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, you won't see these kids in heaven" suck. On their later releases the lyrics are amazing, but the music is just boring. The one release they brought it all together was White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

I respect Social D and have seen them twice (1997 and whenever the tour with Matt Freeman was) but I don't listen to them too often.

Now, I realize that I'm replying to a 2 year old post, but I agree, but disagree.

I thought White light nailed it as a studio album. Big, thick production, well written songs ("I Was Wrong" has been sorta my mantra since the first time I heard it), but certainly lacked what they sound like in their environment: Big clubs, small theaters. Even "Mainliner", "1945" sound freakin awesome live...I'm sure many will disagree, but Ness is a Profit.

this is a great thread and I'm only getting started shuffling through it...

Now, I realize that I'm replying to a 2 year old post, but I agree, but disagree.

I thought White light nailed it as a studio album. Big, thick production, well written songs ("I Was Wrong" has been sorta my mantra since the first time I heard it), but certainly lacked what they sound like in their environment: Big clubs, small theaters. Even "Mainliner", "1945" sound freakin awesome live...I'm sure many will disagree, but Ness is a Profit.

this is a great thread and I'm only getting started shuffling through it...

Oh, if you want to talk live versus studio I agree. White Light, White Heat, White Trash was about the time their live shows just started to get boring. I remember watching them when Freeman was filling in and thinking to myself "Mike Ness just needs to give it up" and feeling that he was just going through the motions.

BTW, I'm glad you found the thread and hope you enjoy it. Believe it or not for being a bunch of old school (some younger) punk rockers we're actually pretty civil to each other.

Can I just say how much I miss CBGB? I played there a ton in an old band, and saw a ton of hardcore matinee shows...you never sounded better than you did on stage at CB's!

Can I just say how much I miss CBGB? I played there a ton in an old band, and saw a ton of hardcore matinee shows...you never sounded better than you did on stage at CB's!

The touring band I was in was supposed to play a show there with NY Rel-X in 2004 or 2005. It sadly fell through, so I never got a chance to play CBGB's. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_isVMzBaI

What band did you play in? I did play one show there with oxblood and templars...speaking of.....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtfT8sM1dk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just got a package in the mail from Forty Winters. They were having a sale on their website and I got a tshirt and cd for 18 bucks not including shipping. they also threw in their ep, some stickers, and a poster.

Forty Winters order.jpg

Decided to crank up some of the old vinyl. I forgot how much I love this album.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cewIvSqaC6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What band did you play in? I did play one show there with oxblood and templars...speaking of.....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtfT8sM1dk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This particular band wasn't punk in the "traditional" sense, but we definitely did our own thing. Here's us at CB's. I'm the stage-left bass player with the grown in 'hawk and Kill Your Idols shirt:rockin:

You guys are funny with your fancy videos and younoob accounts...

I could barely afford strings and tubes in the mid 70s...

33708_161334677223908_100000421310758_428463_3444140_n.jpg

Starting Monday I'll be recording the band I used to tour with. We've got a good week and 1/2 set aside to record a full record. I'm stoked! Once everything gets released through their record label I'll post it up here.

New (somewhat) stuff by The Adolescents. What do you think?

It's OK if you ask me. It's not awful, but I've heard better by them.

OP how in the hell can you list those bands and not have Social Distortion on it? Beyond that what's punk? Fast music or a mentality? I'd argue that Elvis Costello is more punk than half of those bands you listed.

OP how in the hell can you list those bands and not have Social Distortion on it? Beyond that what's punk? Fast music or a mentality? I'd argue that Elvis Costello is more punk than half of those bands you listed.

I'm so sorry that I didn't list every single band out there that can be considered punk. I not once said those are the only punk or hardcore bands, I was just listing examples of the types of bands I was typing about.

I'm not going to get into an argument of what punk is because you can't just pin it down to one thing. It's an attitude, it's music and it's a style of dress. You can argue all you'd like. I'm not going to argue back since we've got a good thread going. I'm not going to help derail it.

Back