First lager- Yuengling clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronllave

Reaction score
With a few ale batches under my belt, I decided to try a lager. Since moving from Philly to California, I miss my Yuengling lager. I found a clone at Annapolis homebrew so I decided that would be a good first lager to try. I will be using my kegerator as my fermentation chamber (I purchased a fridge thermostat to maintain the temperature). I also built a stir-plate to help grow yeast in the starter. I brewed the starter last night and it is now swirling away on the stir plate. I hope to brew in about three days. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Good to see that you are making a starter. Having enough yeast is very important for a lager. Temperature is also important, but it looks like you have that covered as well.

ronllave said:
With a few ale batches under my belt, I decided to try a lager. Since moving from Philly to California, I miss my Yuengling lager. I found a clone at Annapolis homebrew so I decided that would be a good first lager to try. I will be using my kegerator as my fermentation chamber (I purchased a fridge thermostat to maintain the temperature). I also built a stir-plate to help grow yeast in the starter. I brewed the starter last night and it is now swirling away on the stir plate. I hope to brew in about three days. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

I'm also looking for a Yungling clone. Can you post the recipe you are using?

For what it is worth, AHB is my local store. They tend to keep 2 or 3 recipes on tap there to sample and I have tasted the Pennsylvania Lager. It's really good, and very close to Yuengling.

6.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 20.51 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager

The Munich makes it more better ;)

I'm also looking for a Yungling clone. Can you post the recipe you are using?
I just realized that all of the grains and hops they provide with the Pennsylvania Lager kit are not labeled with the names of the specific ingredients. They only have stickers they say "Pennsylvania Lager Kit". This is probably to prevent people from buying the ingredients individually from somewhere else. Sorry!

I brewed a Yuengling clone that came out really well. You can find my recipe and thread by doing a search here. The main thing I'll change next time is to remove the Chinook hops. The beer came out Amazing, but was a little oddly hopped.

Latest posts

Back