Bottling order ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzazz

Reaction score
Check SG for reading of .998 or less, fermenting is done.
Add 1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate dissolved (per gallon) into a clean carboy.
Rack wine onto campden/sorbate
Degass
Wait 24 hours to backsweeten, if needed.
When finished clearing, bottle

Well does this order sound correct? I've read allot of threads and this is what I come up with.

Somebody will have to back me up on this cause I'm not 100% certain...

I think you could consider fermenting done at 1.000, but .998 is definitely a safe number.
I would probably rack, then add the the campden tablet and sorbate and degas. Do you need to degas?
24 hours is a good back sweeten waiting period.
Confused about clearing. I tend to wait for it to clear before I consider it done "fermenting" to proceed on the other stuff. Maybe I'm wrong.

I thought you had to degass most wines if not letting them sit for months. I'd like to bottle to use the carboy for more. The only reason I said clear a second time is I thought it might get a little hazed with all the deagassing and such. Before bottling.

Hmmm. Well, my wines go more like this:

1. Finish fermenting. Dry wines can go as low as .990. Once it's completely clear, and no longer gassy, it can be bottled. This is usually in about 6-12 months from the day I mix up the must. If you bottle a wine that's not clear, you'll have a ton of sediment on the bottle. If it's been finished fermenting for 6 months but still not clear, you can use finings if you want to.

2. If it's gassy, but ready, it can be degassed. I've never had to do it with any wine except a kit wine though. Kit wines are the only wines I've ever had to degas.

3. Decide if I'm going to sweeten or not. If I am, I rack onto 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon, with 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon. Let sit a couple of days.

4. To sweeten, pull out a couple samples of wine. Sweeten each one a bit, and see which one you like. Take the SG of that sample, and then sweeten the whole batch to just under that SG. What I mean is this- if you like it at 1.010, but it's not sweet enough at 1.006, sweeten it to about 1.008. For some strange reason, it always tastes a bit sweeter after it's been bottled for a couple of months. If you bottle it just a tad less sweet than you want, it should be perfect.

5. After sweetening, you can leave it in a carboy a couple of days just to ensure fermentation won't restart. When you know it's ok, you can bottle.

That's basically what I do. I don't sweeten many wines, so I don't often use sorbate. I always use campden at bottling, though, because it works as an antioxidant and preservative. I don't use much, but I use enough to keep the wine safe.

My wine hazed after adding sorbate, campden and degassing. It had previously been see-through! ....and now it's not. :(

So, I second the "re-clearing" - BUT if you are sweetening it, be sure to do so a few days after adding the sorbate/campden as sweetening it can (apparently) cloud it up again.

2. If it's gassy, but ready, it can be degassed. I've never had to do it with any wine except a kit wine though. Kit wines are the only wines I've ever had to degas.

Is this just grape wines, or do you not have issues having to degas homemake grape wine? How do you know if you need to degas.

Back