temperature problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentos

Reaction score
Hi,
Question from someone new to brewing, if my the temperature (irish red ale) drops to 55 from 64, what should i do?

It all started well fermenting at 65 for 3 days, but then my basement got really warm so i moved to a colder please where i thought the temp was 62, but in reality it was 55. Should i forget about this brew or is there something i can do? It spent around ten days at 55 and then i noticed the temperature when i got one of those fermometers. The gravity ready is ok.

Thanks a lot

id give it a gentle swirl while you're at it to rouse up any yeast that may have prematurely flocc'd

id give it a gentle swirl while you're at it to rouse up any yeast that may have prematurely flocc'd
I agree with this. If you accidentally ferment too warm, you can introduce all kinds of nasty flavors to your beer -- grapefruit, banana, stuff like that. If you accidentally ferment too cool, the biggest risk is putting your yeast to sleep before fermentation is done. Go back to a place with a good temperature and give the yeast a stir. Since your gravity is at its target it's not likely to do anything but you want to do it anyway in case there was an error elsewhere (in your calculations, in the recipe instructions, wherever) because if the yeast comes back to life before you bottle, the unfermented sugars in your wort plus the priming sugar could add up to a bottle bomb.

All that said, the most likely outcome of your error is a good beer. Enjoy!

I agree with this. If you accidentally ferment too warm, you can introduce all kinds of nasty flavors to your beer -- grapefruit, banana, stuff like that. If you accidentally ferment too cool, the biggest risk is putting your yeast to sleep before fermentation is done. Go back to a place with a good temperature and give the yeast a stir. Since your gravity is at its target it's not likely to do anything but you want to do it anyway in case there was an error elsewhere (in your calculations, in the recipe instructions, wherever) because if the yeast comes back to life before you bottle, the unfermented sugars in your wort plus the priming sugar could add up to a bottle bomb.

All that said, the most likely outcome of your error is a good beer. Enjoy!

thanks all for the help, great advice.

Why? If the FG is where it should be, why do that? It's fine as it is. No need to swirl it up- as the idea is to clear up the beer and let it sit. Some people cold crash on purpose!

Of course, it really depends on if the beer was finished or not. If it's not, it should be brought to a warmer place. If it is, it should be left alone.

Why? If the FG is where it should be, why do that? It's fine as it is. No need to swirl it up- as the idea is to clear up the beer and let it sit. Some people cold crash on purpose!

Of course, it really depends on if the beer was finished or not. If it's not, it should be brought to a warmer place. If it is, it should be left alone.

oops thought i mentioned that part. Thanks for clearing that up

Back