New Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAle

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for an American Pale Ale that has a good malt content, that being superior to Sierra Nevada's, and very hoppy.
I've been trying to formulate a recipe but I'm new at this so I wanted to get an insight from more experienced brewers. Here's what I came up with. I wanted it to be between 5 and 6 ABV for 5 gallon batch.

8.7 lbs pale malt 2 row
1.5 lbs vienna malt
10 oz caramel/crystal malt 40L
10 oz caramel/crystal malt 80L

1oz chinook @ 60min
1oz summit @ 45min
.5oz falconer's 7c's @ 30min & 20min
.5oz cascade @ 15min & 10 min
.5oz glacier @ 5 & 0 min
1lb corn sugar (end of boil)
.5oz simcoe (dry hop 1 week before bottling)
California Ale Yeast from White Labs

Any advice on this recipe?
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for an American Pale Ale that has a good malt content, that being superior to Sierra Nevada's, and very hoppy.
I've been trying to formulate a recipe but I'm new at this so I wanted to get an insight from more experienced brewers. Here's what I came up with. I wanted it to be between 5 and 6 ABV for 5 gallon batch.

8.7 lbs pale malt 2 row
1.5 lbs vienna malt
10 oz caramel/crystal malt 40L
10 oz caramel/crystal malt 80L

1oz chinook @ 60min
1oz summit @ 45min
.5oz falconer's 7c's @ 30min & 20min
.5oz cascade @ 15min & 10 min
.5oz glacier @ 5 & 0 min
1lb corn sugar (end of boil)
.5oz simcoe (dry hop 1 week before bottling)
California Ale Yeast from White Labs

Any advice on this recipe?
Thanks!

If you want it "very hoppy", I'd change up the hopping a bit. Bittering comes from hops added from about 60 minutes to 25, while more hops flavor comes at 20-15 minute additions. Aroma hops are generally added at the end of the boil. What that maens is that your summit hops will go to bittering, just as the chinook, and your 30 minute falconer's also will be primarily bittering hops. That means a bitter beer, but not "hoppy" as you won't get hops flavor or aroma out of them (or at least not much).

The recipe you have, as written, is very bitter. I also like many hops, but not all in the same recipe as the hops flavor can be "muddy" then.

I'd make it more like:

.75 oz chinook (60 minutes)
1 oz falconer's 7c's @ 15 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz falconer's 7C 5 minutes
1 oz cascade flame out
Dryhop with 1-2 ounces of above hops for 1 week before bottling.

I'd consider ditching the corn sugar in the boil. That can tend to dry out a beer, leaving a less perceived maltiness.

If you're looking to bump your ABV, increase the 2-row a bit.

Yooper said:
If you want it "very hoppy", I'd change up the hopping a bit. Bittering comes from hops added from about 60 minutes to 25, while more hops flavor comes at 20-15 minute additions. Aroma hops are generally added at the end of the boil. What that maens is that your summit hops will go to bittering, just as the chinook, and your 30 minute falconer's also will be primarily bittering hops. That means a bitter beer, but not "hoppy" as you won't get hops flavor or aroma out of them (or at least not much).

The recipe you have, as written, is very bitter. I also like many hops, but not all in the same recipe as the hops flavor can be "muddy" then.

I'd make it more like:

.75 oz chinook (60 minutes)
1 oz falconer's 7c's @ 15 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz falconer's 7C 5 minutes
1 oz cascade flame out
Dryhop with 1-2 ounces of above hops for 1 week before bottling.

+1

Bitterness != hoppiness. If you want a hoppy profile, bump up those late additions like Yooper suggested and dryhop with at least 1-2 ounces.

Latest posts

Back