Crystal malt difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackucack

Reaction score
Here's what I am going to try out next:

http://byo.com/component/resource/a...3-widmer-brewing-s-w-10-pitch-black-ipa-clone

My question is, I got home from the LHBS and realized that I bought the 80L instead of the 10L crystal malt. I'm still planning on using it (since all my grains are mixed already) this weekend, I'm just curious as to how much of a difference I'm going to have. Am I really going to have a significantly sweeter beer?

Depending on how much I like the final product, this could be my first true beer experiment...

im not sure about sweeter, but depending on how much is used there may be more flavor from the crystal malt than expected and it would be darker in color.

I second the not necessarily sweeter comment.

I used some crystals for my ale (a little longer steep time than anticipated) and it added a truck load of flavor and body. I love it, but it's like drinking beer with a piece of bread soaking in it.

But, hey, on the bright side, with one beer I'm all set for meals for 6 hours!

Here's what I am going to try out next:

http://byo.com/component/resource/a...3-widmer-brewing-s-w-10-pitch-black-ipa-clone

My question is, I got home from the LHBS and realized that I bought the 80L instead of the 10L crystal malt. I'm still planning on using it (since all my grains are mixed already) this weekend, I'm just curious as to how much of a difference I'm going to have. Am I really going to have a significantly sweeter beer?

Depending on how much I like the final product, this could be my first true beer experiment...

Beersmith has your color going from ~34 SRM to ~41 SRM. I bet you won't notice much difference in taste, if any at all. Rename your clone from "Pitch Black IPA" to "Black Hole IPA" and you're all set.

I recently brewed a beer where I wanted to crystal 20 and used 120 by mistake.
Beer turned out great.

Crystal 10L is a sweeter, almost carmelly tasting, malt. Crystal 80L is more toffee-ish, not quite raisiny. There is a big difference in flavor, BUT both are great in IPAs and I don't think it'll change the overall tone of the beer that much where you will notice a lack of sweetness in the finished beer.

Back