co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
Obviously, it would be easier to carb my beer if I kept the CO2 tank outside the fridge (wouldn't have to open the fridge so much.) It's also obvious that you can have more beer in the fridge if you don't have the CO2 taking up space. However, does the CO2 last longer if kept inside? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.

I used to keep the CO2 in the fridge, but, as you say, it takes up too much space. I moved it out to save room. Now in my fridge I can fit 4 corny's (or 1/6th barrels)The CO2 won't last longer inside the fridge, so that is not a concern.

dougbo said:
Obviously, it would be easier to carb my beer if I kept the CO2 tank outside the fridge (wouldn't have to open the fridge so much.) It's also obvious that you can have more beer in the fridge if you don't have the CO2 taking up space. However, does the CO2 last longer if kept inside? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.

Where you keep your CO2 should have no effect on how long it lasts. For the record I keep mine outside of my 'fridge also.

i keep my co2 outside of the kegerator as well (partly because a 50 lb co2 tank doesn't fit in a regular fridge very well...).

only this is to be careful if drilling through a side that has coolant lines going through it. you puncture one line just a tiny bit, and you've destroyed your fridge/freezer.

i ran my bulkhead through the door of the fridge/kegerator for this reason.

I moved mine out of the fridge, mainly to make it easier to exchange and use with other kegs. It was stuck in the back and I had to empty the kegger to trade it out. When I moved it outside, I added a shutoff to prevent leaks when I need the tank elsewhere. Having it outside also makes it easier to check the amount of gas left.

But, now I find myself thinking I MIGHT be able to cram a fifth keg in.

It's obviously proportional to the size of the 'fridge. For those of us that use the 4912, I think two cornies is the max you can get in there, CO2 tank or not. Then there is the problem of drilling and running into a coolant line.

i have the 4912... and my co2 in the fridge.. it works great and keeps a nice clean look to my keggerator.. if you can fit it in, i'd say get it out of the way...

Latest posts

Back