First AG taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I just cracked open a bottle from my first AG batch and all I can say is WOW. I am stoked. Glad I made the switch from extract!

AleHole said:
I just cracked open a bottle from my first AG batch and all I can say is WOW. I am stoked. Glad I made the switch from extract!

Yeah Baby! Welcome to the Club, The AG Club! You've just been initiated.:mug:

Awww man, now I'm really itching to try this...unfortunately I have other priorities financially but when I can I'm getting hooked up and will be going AG soon. Glad your first worked out for you!

Sweet! I received my bulkhead the other day so this weekend is going to be completing the cooler conversion and just maybe my first AG batch.

Yes, I am rather pleased so say the least. I brewed a Mac & Jack's African Amber clone and it turned out very close. The beer has been bottled only a week but just could not wait. I can only imagine how good its going to be in 3 weeks if its that good now. Its a good thing I have 4 cases of extract beer to drink to hold me over or it might not last that long.

My next step in my brewing career is to create my own recipe. So far I have been brewing clone beers and following other brewers recipes.

I am finding that all of my extract beers (all bottle conditioned) seem to have the same underlying taste. It's not bad, but the same.

Is this due to them being extract kits or from the bottle conditioning?

I'm going to be moving to AG once I finish the manifold for my mash tun.

bnutting said:
I am finding that all of my extract beers (all bottle conditioned) seem to have the same underlying taste. It's not bad, but the same.

Is this due to them being extract kits or from the bottle conditioning?

I'm going to be moving to AG once I finish the manifold for my mash tun.

That's been the consensus with extract is a common underlying taste. You don't experience that with AG. Not necesarily bad, just there...

Woohoo!

Imho, with extracts you get a 'muddier' flavor. Once you brew and extract recipe that has been turned into an AG and compare them side by side you'll notice that the AG has sharper cleaner flavors.

desertBrew said:
That's been the consensus with extract is a common underlying taste. You don't experience that with AG. Not necesarily bad, just there...
I'm going to assume that that taste goes away in time? I've had some Stouts from a cousin that have aged 4-6 months that they did not seem to have that taste.

Could that taste be caused from bottle conditioning?

Back