Yeast Washing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
I washed my yeast, according to the illustrated thread we have on here (which is great)

But i have a noob question. I have my yeast in 4 mason jars, sitting in the fridge and the jars have seperated into 3 distinct color layers.

In the thread once it was in the mason jars there was only 2 distinct layers. Should I try to pour it out again and let it settle?

Thanks

Yeah I'm going through the same thing right now. Asked northern brewer about it and they said to keep washing it until there is only yeast and liquid on top. That's my plan for today. I already boiled and filled four more quart mason jars of water and I plan on dumping the current mason jars of their liquid. I'll carefully pour the yeast and remaining liquid into a flask I use for starters. Then dump the crap left over and wash the yeast with the new water. Hope I won't have to do it again, but we'll see.

leave it alone.... it is fine IMO. when the time comes to use it, pour off the clear liquid and make a starter with the stuff on the bottom. there is some stuff in there besides yeast but it will be minimal and should have no effect on anything........ Again this is just my opinion as I have only washed yeast a couple of times.

leave it alone.... it is fine IMO. when the time comes to use it, pour off the clear liquid and make a starter with the stuff on the bottom. there is some stuff in there besides yeast but it will be minimal and should have no effect on anything........ Again this is just my opinion as I have only washed yeast a couple of times.

I completely agree. Washing yeast is a lot of effort. I rack off the beer, add back a quart of water and then split into pint mason jars, and store in the fridge. If you use it within a month, pour off the settled liquid and pitch the slurry straight into the new wort. After a month I make a starter to make sure everything is OK with the yeast.

Back