Spigots cause oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
When I order my kit from MidWest, I requested spigots be added to the primary bucket and both the better-bottles. The reply I got was they didn't recommend the spigot on the primary bucket because they are not air tight and can cause oxidation problems.

I figured with the product in the primary where CO2 is being produced, wouldn't it force product out the spigot if it leaked? How would oxygen get in? Besides, I seen many here state their bucket tops don't even seal well.....

I told them to go ahead and add the spigots, hope I didn't screw up. What do you all think?

These guys have been snorting silage. You are entirely correct about the leakage, it would be fluid out, not air in. Spigots make racking and filling much easier.

[Sounds like a couple of jealous glass-junkies. They can't use spigots, so that proves spigots are EVIL!]

That makes no sense. If anything the beer will be in the primary the least. By their logic, then the secondary would have the most problems with oxidation. Stupid. Get the spigots.

Back