opened dry yeast still useable??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
i opened a pack of safale-05 and used a few grains to reintroduce to beer that has not carbed in almost two months.

Almost the entire pack of yeast is left over which i quickly put into a ziploc bag;
is it still good to use?????

Also should i worry about bottle bombs from the bottles that i added a little extra dry yeast to???

I figure it is all about fermentable sugars, not the amount of yeast

The yeast will still be fine. And yes its all about sugars. You can put as much yeast in as you want but if there are no fermentables then nothing will happen.

Most of the yeast packets say to refrigerate after opening. Probably a decent idea. I just toss all my yeast, dry or liquid, into the fridge.

Dry yeast will start to die once the package is opened. If you use it within a month or so, it will be ok. Anything more than that and you should make a starter.

Dry yeast will start to die once the package is opened. If you use it within a month or so, it will be ok. Anything more than that and you should make a starter.

I didn't know you could make a starter out of dry yeast.

It seems like it's kind of a big hassle for a little return. I mean, a new yeast packet is like 95 cents for me.

Back