Making my first Gluten free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawgDaddy

Reaction score
For no other reason than I like the different flavor of the one's I've had. I intend on sticking to the Gluten free and will not be using any grain. I am using sorghum extract and local Amish molasses so far. I have heard of a few other things used through reading....but what have/do you ladies and gentlemen used/use to add to this recipe? I understand that options may be fewer, but I'm sure there are some creative ones.

Thanks folks....

I've not used molasses because I've heard it leaves a metallic taste. I know new planet uses it and I haven't tasted anything metallic in them.

You will find a bunch of information on ingredients on this forum. Some I have used and recommend:

Belgian candy syrup (use the inverted sugar not the hard candy kind)
Brown rice solids - my LHBS does not carry the syrup so I have used the powder
Maltodextrin - about 8 oz per 5 gallon batch works well
Crushed corriander - I have used up to 8 grams per 5 gallon batch added just before flame out. I think others have used more
Orange peel

Sorghum twang is real. Don't use very much of it unless you want to age your beer for 9 months.

see my recipe post for an Idea of how a mostly-sorghum brew is going to turn out.

I think the recommendation is to only have it be 1/4 to 1/3 of your fermentables.

Back