Grassy flavor in Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopeJuice

Reaction score
This is my 2nd time brewing and it's a black IPA extract kit from northern brewer. we followed all instructions and the only thing we did differently was dry hopping with 1.5 oz of cascade hops 5 days before going from secondary to bottle. We tasted the beer last night while bottling and agreed that it had a great look and great smell but a grassy taste that just threw it off. I don't know the technical terms but the taste was toward the middle, not the initial taste and not the aftertaste. It is uncarbonated so I am hoping this may help it out a little but I would love to know if anyone has had similar problems. Will the tase change much from now until it is ready to drink in 2 weeks? I have looked through a few places on line but can't seem to find any answers.

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!

Sometimes you can get grassy hop flavors from dry-hopping for too long, but 5 days isn't long enough for that problem to arise (we're talking multiple weeks).

1 oz Summit pellets (60 min)
1 oz Chinook pellets (15 min)
1 oz Centennial pellets (10 min)
1 oz Cascade pellets (5 min)
1 oz Centennial pellets (0 min)
1.5 oz Cascade whole cones dry hopped 5 days before bottling

only thing i can think of is that I squeezed the grain bag out into the wort gently when we removed it. i've read that this is not a good idea because it can leave some tannins in the beer?

Once the beer is conditioned and carbonated it should improve. 1.5oz of dry hop is not a lot and 5 days isn't anywhere near too long a period.

The only thing that may be a possibility would be old, not fresh hops if it doesn't improve.

only thing i can think of is that I squeezed the grain bag out into the wort gently when we removed it. i've read that this is not a good idea because it can leave some tannins in the beer?

Common misconception. Tannins are extracted by a combination of high pH and high temperature in your mash/steep. Squeeze away!

I did a blonde a while back that had late addition Centennials. It came out most unpleasant and somewhat grassy. I haven't done a beer with late addition Cents since then...but that is the only common denominator I see with my own personal experience.

Back