Brewing Liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperial

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my brewing water (I think). I've using water straight from the tap (in Seattle). Here's a post where I described the water problems I've been having:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/off-taste-tubing-like-129929/

In a nutshell, it's a tubing-like taste. I also had a friend describe it as metallic.

I'm going to be brewing this weekend, and I'd like the beer to not have these issues. I've got a few water options:

1) My parents' well water (it tastes really good, but I don't know a lot about it)
2) Buy water from the store
3) Spring water from a secret place in Seattle (a friend told me about this) (I don't know a lot about it, but it comes straight from a spring)

It seems like the safest way to to would be store water. What kind of water should I get? I'll be brewing a high-grav english barley wine.

Any thoughts on the other options?

Thanks!

If you have an off flavor, and you think it may be caused by the water, I say go with the store bought. The other options may be fine, but like you say, you don't know much about it. Store bought is the safe bet.

Are you brewing AG or extract?

If AG make sure you get "spring water," not "drinking water." Drinking water is missing most of the salts and minerals needed for extraction.

I you are doing an extract batch you can use either.

I'd use the well water. Simple rule with water without getting into real technical stuff. If it tastes good enough to drink, it's good enough to brew with.

Long story short, I can't get the well water. Does anybody have advice for using store bought water for an AG brew? I think I know that distilled would not work well...

Welcome to the wonderful world of brew water.

There is no simple answer to your question.

You are now destined to follow all the water threads in the brew science forum.

Here is a wild and simple thought.. How about a cheapo house filter?
Plumb a house filter in so you can drink your water and there ya go....It would pay for itself in less than a year if you brew allot.

Just my .02 cents worth

Thanks, All! Looks like I've got a lot of reading and study to do. I think I will send my water away for an analysis.

Back