How to put hole in for tap on Bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycotte

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Brewers' Best Deluxe starter kit that came with all the stuff you'd expect. The 6 gallon fermenting/bottling bucket has a dedicated and threaded spot for the spigot. Trouble is that it is not drilled open to the container. These buckets are billed as fermenter/bottling buckets it seems because in the basic kit you get two buckets where as my kit came with a bucket and a glass carboy.

My question is "What is the best method to place the hole in plastic so I can actually use the spigot?"

From all my reading my concerns are leaving any rough plastic that could harbor bacteria.

Since I have a dremel with router bits,etc,I took a sharpie & the threaded part of the spigot & marked the diameter of the hole where I wanted it on my bottling bucket. I used a cylinder shaped router bit To cut out the hole close to the marked circle. Switche dto a drum sander at lower speed to finish the hole then tested it with the spigot. fits so tight it has to be screwed in a little to get it going. Trimmed the flash with an exacto knife. Never leaks.

That's what the seals are for,basically. What little gets in that area (very little) gets cleaned & sanitized every time after being used & before the next use. Not to mention that I cut the hole tight enough where the spigot has to be threaded in. I clean the spigots,lock nut,etc with PBW & aquarium lift tube brushes from Petsmart. Rinse well,soak in Starsan breifly & re-assemble wet. Never a problem. The white & red Italian spigots are my favorite,as they have a step on the end of the spout to fit 3/8"ID tubing.

The step bit it the clear way to go. You get a perfectly round hole of any size in just a couple seconds.

Wort should never touch the hole anyway, so no need to worry about sanding etc. The rubber washers are what create the seal.

I built my bottling bucket with the Italian spigot for $13 from JWDover. It's allegedly 7.9G. I'm thinking 7.2G maybe...

Back