best extract for partial mash tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proton

Reaction score
So I'm contemplating a tripel, shooting for something like 7.5 to 8.5 percent abv. I'm thinking something like 4 lbs base malt (pilsener seems typical for the style), 5 pounds Extra Light DME, and a pound or two of clear candi sugar. I wanna keep that FG low (around 1.010-1.015 ballpark). So my question is, what brand of extract should I use--what brand is most fermentable? Word on the street is that Munton's DME will go pretty dry if you have a good ferment, but I've not found any info more specific than that. I know Williams makes a liquid Pilsener extract, but it's pretty expensive and I don't know anyone who has used it.

Also, more generally, is a good partial mash tripel really plausible? I've heard that too much extract leads to inevitable cidery flavors, but I've gotta think with aging it can't be too bad.

Oh and one other question while I'm at it--I guess I'm planning on using Wyeast 3522, Belgian Ardennes, cause I like the crazy flavors I got in my saison (and cause I washed some and wanna try using it again). Catalog tells me it's got a potential attenuation of 76%--does that sound strong enough for a tripel? Will it get me to 8 percent?

Thanks, brew-experts!

Latest posts

Back