Washing/Re-pitching Wyeast 3068 Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished listening to the Jamil Z Show about Bavarian Weizens, and he says you shouldn't repitch the 3068 yeast.

Has anyone done it? Is Jamil just trying to sell more White Labs/Wyeast ;)

I just finished listening to the Jamil Z Show about Bavarian Weizens, and he says you shouldn't repitch the 3068 yeast.

Has anyone done it? Is Jamil just trying to sell more White Labs/Wyeast ;)

I've done it. Didn't notice any difference compared to pitching other washed yeast.

Did he say why?

Says that it ferments so vigarously, that it will develop off flavors and underperform.

He also slags dry yeast, and I use US-05 as my house yeast for ales.. and it's awesome. I take everything he says with a grain of salt.
I'm also not buddies with the guys in White Labs, and can't afford to pitch 3 vials of new yeast everytime I brew ;)

I'm not an expert by any means.

I brewed a hefe with 3068 and did the same recipe with washed yeast from the first.

It tasted slightly different but I was thinking it was from fermentation temps being slightly different. I didn't think it tasted "off" though.

After two batches with 3068, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like the flavor of this yeast.

Have used the same washed Wyeast 3944 Hoegaarden wheat beer yeast at least six times and counting now over the past year. Never noticed anything bad with subsequent brews, the 3944 yeast needs higher temps 76F+ to get the Hoegaarden flavors, it is comparatively mellow at 68F.

The yeast washing thread is great and got me started on saving all my liquid yeasts.

All commercial breweries repitch their yeast! If repitching created off flavors then every commercial beer would be off.

Latest posts

Back