Aging before dry-hopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing another IIPA, very loosely based on Pliny (even though I've never had it). My last IIPA (a black IIPA) was too caramel-ly and not nearly hoppy enough.

My question is:

When brewing a high gravity beer. Has anyone let the beer age in secondary for a month or two before adding the dry hop additions?

It seems like if you dry-hop and then age, the hops would fade, but if you wait... let the alcohol subdue, flavors blend, etc. and then add dry hops for 7-10 days, the hop profile in the final product would be a lot brighter.

Any thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have never had to age before dry hopping.

Depending on the hops, I think hops need to mellow a bit - they can be harsh immediately after dry hopping.

I would simply taste the beer before either aging or dry hopping and see what you think.

I'll probably end up compromising - 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 1 additional week dry-hopping in secondary. I don't think 8% needs that long to rest and come together, especially at low ferm temps. I'm probably going to use 1056 at 60-62 .deg F, ramping up to 65-67 deg F the last three days of primary.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it works out.

I have tried many people's input here, and found what works for me and my equipment. That's what makes places like HBT priceless.

My final process includes 2-3 weeks in the primary, until FG is reached. Then, into a keg for dry-hopping (if needed for the style) and then cold crash for a week. Finally, transfer to another keg and age, if required.

I definitely practice this with all my dry-hopped ales. My rule-of-thumb is simple. The final 7 days of secondary fermentation is the dry hopping period. It could be in secondary for 1, 3, 5 weeks, whatever. The final 7 is the dry hopping. I do this because I like my IPAs and CDAs to be strong, and I want there to be enough hop aroma left in the bottles by the time I start opening bottles. I definitely agree with where you are coming from. I think you should do it.

Back