Where to go in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I will be in Boston in late July and I was hoping for some advice on beer and non-beer related places to check out. Will be there to see Liverpool vs Roma at Fenway and I believe I am staying in a hotel fairly close to Fenway Park. Thanks

BertusBrew said:
I will be in Boston in late July and I was hoping for some advice on beer and non-beer related places to check out. Will be there to see Liverpool vs Roma at Fenway and I believe I am staying in a hotel fairly close to Fenway Park. Thanks

We had a nice vacation in Boston three years ago. A day trip out to Lexington is worth it, as is the John Adams farm. All the colonial sites were great, for us, you can do a walking tour and see many of them.

Sam Adams tour was fun. A day trip to Cape Cod was very pleasant.

Have a great trip!

I'm going to that game, too.

Do the Freedom Trail thing. Touristy, but a must. Honestly, just walking around Boston you're bound to run into plenty of things.

If you are staying near Fenway I would suggest going to Penguin Pizza in Brigham circle. They have over 20 beers on tap and a huge selection of bottles.plus their pizza is awesome a well.

I'm going as well. I used to live in Boston for 5 years for school. Agree w/ shecky, just walking around the Freedom trail/ Faneuil Hall, Newbury St, maybe go on a Boston Harbor cruise? Those are always fun. Walk the Charles River. Boston now has bike rentals on some streets, so you can pick one up, and drop if off when you're done (even at a differnt street location) and just pay with cc I think. So you can see more with those, if you feel like covering more ground and sweating more :p

Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston is a short T ride from Fenway, has good food and a bunch of beer on tap, or Boston Beer Works at the top of Lansdowne and Brookline (Fenway is across the st.), but that could be packed. Sam Adams in JP (Jamaica Plain). There's another few places in Cambridge, not sure where though.

I'd definitely make your way into Kendall square in Cambridge (Lord Hobo's, Meadhall, and Cambridge Brewing Company) for beer. Publick House in Brookline or Deep Ellum in Allston are also good stops among others. depending on how late in july, you could catch the hophead throwdown at Publick House

Definitely hit Sunset, Lord Hobo, and/or Publick House! Also, Green Street Grill in Central Square has fantastic food and a good beer menu.

As a resident, I would remiss if I didn't mention a tour through Harpoon and Sam Adams breweries. If your by Fenway, go to Boston Beer Works. Other than that, I agree with the others, Sunset, Lord Hobo are great places. If you want the oldest bars in America, they are right along the freedoms trail ( green dragon, bell in hand, oyster house).

Go to newbury st., hit the North End for some Italian, go to the Harbor for Legal Seafoods... Amazing and right next to Harpoon. enjoy the greatest city on the East Coast

Boston is a beautiful city with so much history and incredibly easy to walk. For non-beer-related do walk the Freedom Trail. Try to plan it so you can take a free tour of the USS Constitution just across in Charlestown or split the two up. The North End is the Italian area with tons of restaurants. The good ones book up but you may be able to find a small reputable one with a table available (I discovered Panza this way).

Deep Ellum in Allston down the street from the Sunset is great. Five Horses and the Independent in Somerville also have great beer/food lists. All three have better food than the Sunset IMHO. As mentioned, the Publick House has a nice mix of American Craft and Belgian. If you are looking for independent beer bottles to bring home, go visit Craft Beer Cellars in Belmont. I highly suggest anything by Pretty Things Ale Project and if you like lagers, Jack's Abbey (Siebel grad).

If you have a day to spare, you can head up to Portland, ME and do some of the Maine Beer Trail. You can easily fit in 5 breweries without too much effort.

Enjoy!

Back