it smells terrible - problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfcwilliams

Reaction score
so i just started brewing cider. i began my first brew yesterday, and after pitching the yeast, i noticed a very active fermentation occurring. however, when i got home from work today, the carboy was emitting a very strong, and rather disagreeable smell. when i sniff up close to the carboy, i can still smell the cider, and the yeast. but in general, it's a strange smell. can anyone relate to this? and if so, what is the problem? or is it a problem?

i used very fresh cider for this brew. (the apples came off the trees less than a month ago.) could this be contributing to the problem?

thanks for any help!

Smells somewhat sulfuric/rotten egg-like? Probably "rhino farts" as they are called which is perfectly normal (albeit unpleasant) for cider. It should go away with time.

try to lower your fermentation temps to slow the ferment down

what you are smelling is a stressed ferment. You could add nutrients, but that will make it difficult to stop the ferment with any residual sweetness

Back