1st Cherry Kriek, 2 years later vinegar taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive Drab

Reaction score
So its about 22 months since I brewed this beer. I was going to bottle it but due to work constraints I threw it in the keg two days ago and have been force carbing it. I took a sample today and the first thing that hits me is vinegar. It was fermented in a glass carboy and the airlock may have gone dry while I was gone for a few months due to my job. Is there anyway to redeem this beer or any suggestions for additions or blending to greatly reduce the vinegar flavor? The cherry flavor is subtle, almost not even there and the vinegar is the first and main thing you notice.

thanks

Brew a fresh beer and blend old with new. Some acetic acid is welcome in sour beers, especially if blended correctly. Play around with other younger beers you have to blend in. The art of blending definitely includes having barrels that taste like crap on their own, but blended with others taste awesome.

Brew a fresh beer and blend old with new. Some acetic acid is welcome in sour beers, especially if blended correctly. Play around with other younger beers you have to blend in. The art of blending definitely includes having barrels that taste like crap on their own, but blended with others taste awesome.
I mixed up a glass of 60% kriek and 40% golden strong ale. It mellowed it out and made it a pleasure to drink. Ill brew another batch of belgian ale and blend 50/50 and add cherry extract to even it out if needed.
I figured out where I goofed today looking at my notes. I pulled a gallon of the "geuze" before I added the cherries and bottled that. I cracked a bottle today and it tasted like its supposed to. I didnt purge the carboy before adding fruit and that oxygen combined with any if the airlock was dry caused this. I know for next time.

thanks for the replies for helping me save this.

Make a malty brown ale and blend. Old Bruins have vinager in them

I have an oud bruin thats about 5 months along the way. I was planning on splitting it and keeping 1/2 as is mixing the other half between rasberries and cherries.

milldoggy said:
Make a malty brown ale and blend. Old Bruins have vinager in them

I've had some with some acetic character, but per the BJCP style guidelines, it's not appropriate...or at least it shouldn't be to a level that it's detectable as vinegar.

"The sourness should not grow to a notable acetic/vinegary character."

Back