Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC_Brewer

Reaction score
Well I am starting to build my Brutus Ten and I purchased a 6.5 gallon carboy today. I figured I would brew some EdWorts Apfelwein while I biild. Everything went well and it has been sitting in the carboy for about 5 hours. I have been watching it and it seems that the yeast isnt doing anything. It is just floating to the top of the carboy. My airlock has had no action either. Could it be that this yeast is dead?

Sorry its such a noob question I just dont want my first brew to be a failure.

Did you rehydrate and stir the yeast before you pitched it? Also, if it still isn't fermenting just give it a really good shake to get the yeast nice and dispersed. If it isn't fermenting in a few days then you might have a problem. What type of yeast did you use?

PS. If you do have dead yeast, it is no big deal. You can just re-pitch another packet of montrachet ( or whatever ). The dead yeast is actually a good nutrient for the new stuff. I am sure you will be fine, though. Just relax and have a home-brew.

Alright so I am a big noob. My air lock started to bubble and the yeasties look fine.

I cant stop starring at the carboy though. Been looking at it for 1.5 hours, its so awesome

ok, was reading along im thinking 6 hours? Wait til tomorrow night and it will be bubbling.

Back