Yeast choice question for my Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action Jack

Reaction score
This past summer I brewed my first homebrew which was a Widmer style Hefeweizen. I learned alot during this first brew session. Now that I have some more time, I am gonna brew up another batch this weekend. The recipe I used was as follows:
4 1/2 lb Briess Wheat/Barley (65% what) malt extract
2 1/2 lb Briess Gold (light) Malt Extract
1/2 lb Munich 10L barley
1/2 lb Briess Crystal 20L barley
1 oz tettnanger hops

I was given 3 choices for yeast which were wyeast #2565 Kolsch, Wyeast #3068 Wheinstephen Weizen, or Nottingham dry (2).

I ended up going with Wyeast #3068 Wheinstephen Weizen. I was told this would give the beer a slight banana flavor which it did. My question is what characteristics would the other two yeast choices give to this recipe? Also would one of the other two choices be more true to a Hefeweizen. My intent is to brew this same recipe but with one of the other yeast choices so I can compare it to my first batch. I will probably end up trying all three yeast versions eventually. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Widmer wheat beer is an american wheat/rye as opposed to german hefe.

I'd say to get that german hef flavor, the weihanstephan yeast is the preferred yeast not only of the choices above, but in general.

The Kolsch yeast makes a great american wheat. Just gotta watch the temperature on both of those yeasties!

I used White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WPL300 yeast for my Bavarian hefe from AHS. depending on ferment temps, you can get a more banana-y or clove-y flavor. tastes great so far.

Your recipe really borders on a dunkelweizen, just missing an ounce or so of a dark roasted grain. Make sure to mash the Munich and I would just use all wheat extract. You can roll with it as a Bavarian or American style dunkel depending on yeast.

If you really want to go with a Bavarian/ "true hefeweizen" , wheat extract, ounce of Tettnanger and WYL 3068 is all you need.

Thank you guys, PT Ray I think I will take your advice. My brew turned out good but it definitely didn't have what I would call a true Hefe taste.

I just started fermenting 3068 on MOnday morning. New lesson here for me. Use blow off hose when using this yeast. It blew past the fermentation lock and I had nice pile of yeast on the floor when i got home.( not the most pleasant smelling either) I had 5 1/4 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallons bucket. Wyeast says you need 30 % room in your fermenter for the yeast head.

I'm using WLP300 and warmer ferm temp (bucket was at 72 first couple of days) and I've got a noticeable banana flavor. If you're going for the Bavarian style, that yeast is great.

I have a widmer American wheat clone in my dropdown. It is pretty accurate, I would take ideas from that, but I used WLP320.

P.S. I don't like the traditional hefe banana/clove taste and why I went with WLP320 plus that is what Widmer uses.

I only use White Labs liquid yeasts, but I have tried three so far...

WLP300..Banana bombs..too much banana, not enough clove.
WLP320..American Hefe...lowest clove and banana. In the fermentor
WLP380...The best balance between clove and banana...My #1 favorite so far.
WLP351...haven't tried it yet. It is seasonal.

Patrick

More thanks to the others for their posts. Humann Brewing, I can't wait to get into AG to try out your recipe. Those pictures of yours have got me going to the fridge to get a cold one.

I know it's not on your list, but I really like Wyeast 1010. It's their American Hef yeast - lots of citrus with only a hint of clove and no banana. I use it for my Bells Oberon Clone.

But I really don't like the Widmer Hef... or any of their beers, for that matter. To each their own :)

More thanks to the others for their posts. Humann Brewing, I can't wait to get into AG to try out your recipe. Those pictures of yours have got me going to the fridge to get a cold one.

I went as cheap as you can and recently started my first few AG beers. Under 40 bucks for mash tun and that was it. After the final boil, I take all the boiling hot wort and pour into my pail,let it set overnight to cool, check the OG in the morning and pitch the yeast. I have had no issues and make better beer.( cheaper to make too!)

Back