07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper Chick said:
I like the idea of a summery honey pale ale- sounds great!

Instead of 7 different hops, we could do 7 hops additions, kind of like Walker's IPA. It would still be special, but not cost as much attempting to buy 7 different types of hops.

Let the brewer decide whether they want 7 types, but we'll definitely keep it at 7 additions.

What about seven versions of the same recipe? Each one being a single hop version? And we all have to brew all seven, then do a comparative analysis. Simple!

See, if you gof for a smaller beer, I think you go with seven varieties. Not that I think it'll necessarily make a better beer, but it's a much more interesting story to tell than "well, we did additions at 60, 30, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dryhopped."

Seven different hops, seven different additions. I know it's a ***** to buy seven different varities, but as I noted earlier - they don't really go bad if they're cared for, and we all seem to brew often enough where they'll get used up.

I like the idea, too, of only using domestic ingredients, since it will be right around the 4th when I brew.

Dude said:
See, the whole point is to have the SAME recipe. ;)

Right, but some of us might want to individulaize our experience.

It's not like different hops add different flavors to beer. They're all basically the same. It's the malts and yeasts that make the flavors.

But some of us might be able to get together and hop-swap.

Cheesefood said:
It's not like different hops add different flavors to beer. They're all basically the same. It's the malts and yeasts that make the flavors.

I thought flavor in beer came from vanilla extract? :confused:

I think hops make a big difference. I mean, Crystal versus Summit is a pretty noticeable difference, and not just in terms of bitterness. Still, I like the idea of seven hop additions, but not seven different hops. Seems like that many would create too much noise, as it were.

Cheesefood said:

I used to think that until I brewed the sorachi slammer. I think you're way off the mark here. I'm don't claim to be able to tell you which hops were used in different beers, but I can tell you that there is a difference.

Cheesefood said:
Right, but some of us might want to individulaize our experience.

then do that, but technically it isn't what this is all about. Unless...

...I'm misunderstanding the concept of a group brew with everyone doing the same recipe then. My understanding of the 06.06.06 and 07.07.07 group recipe was intended to be--everyone coming up with it collectively and brewing the SAME recipe. I guess YMMV.

Cheesefood said:

Not to jump on your **** today, but you don't know how wrong you are with that statement.

I'd agree we should all come up with the same recipe otherwise what's the point. May as well have a common brew day for a target drink of 07.07.07.

This is trending like 06.06.06 and I have A.D.D. :cross:. MY opinion for the cow dung that's worth is if it gets so complicated we'll have perhaps an overly complex beer that may not be so tasty? (sounds like 666 turned out that way a bit).

Then we should all send 1 bottle with the same label to the next annual Sam Adams Contest. How cool would that be coming from all over the US. Wait, what if we win?!? What about our rights to that recipe <totally shuts up now>.

Cheesefood said:

Sacriledge! as a dedicated hop head I must denouce this statement!
please do not insult my beloved amarillo hop by comparing it to such inferior strains as saaz and hallertauer !
but on a more serious note, I think there is an appreciable difference. Granted, this is coming from some one who uses us-56 pretty much exclusively for all my beers, so I suppose I could be biased in favor of hops!

Edit: I just read the "gotcha" post from cheesefood and am now feeling a bit calmer.

Well, I was at the beer store at lunch so i bought seven varieties of grain (eight actually, including carapils), so I am willing to testdrive some type of seven grain variety of APA this weekend...in the name of science of course. I probably have seven varieties of hops in my freezer but I'm not convinced I want to go that route...

...but then again, someone should probably try a seven hop beer just to see if it is actually good or if it becomes a trainwreck of hop confusion.

If we got a few more guinnea pigs we could try a few recipes and report back in March?

Lucky 7's!!! I kinda liked texasgeorge's recipe!

Poll? Okay, I like the idea of either an APA or a honey ale for summer. My house ale uses 1-1/2 lbs. of honey and that's about the right amount, IMHO. I wouldn't go higher.

Hops - I'd vote for something as simple as a two or even single hop addition, added seven times - kind of like DFH 90-120 min. IPA. And thirdly, something down the middle when it comes to hops. IMHO, too much Cascade can get too grassy/grapefruity.

But I'll brew whatever the final recipe is, regardless. Because I'm stupid that way.
:ban:

jeffg said:
...but then again, someone should probably try a seven hop beer just to see if it is actually good or if it becomes a trainwreck of hop confusion.

If we got a few more guinnea pigs we could try a few recipes and report back in March?

I close on my new house at the end of this month. I will brew my recipe from page 9 of this thread and report back once I get settled in. I should have a drinkable sample by early April.

edit: For the poll: I prefer an APA... if it's honey'ed, that's cool too.

I like texas george's recipe also:

Batch size - 6.0 gal (I think there's going to be a fair amount lost to dry-hopping the 7-hop blend as Dude suggested, so I overshot a little)
Efficiency: 75%
SG: 1.055 (range 1.045 - 1.060)
IBU: 42.2 (range 30 - 54)
SRM: 7.0 (range 5 - 14)

Thought: Mash a little lower... ~150F'ish, for a dryer summer beer

8.0 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
1.0 lbs Torrified Wheat
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt
1.0 lbs Honey Malt
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L
0.5 lbs Victory Malt

0.50 oz Centennial 10.50% (whole), FWH
0.50 oz Willamette 5.00% (pellet), 60 min
0.25 oz Amarillo 10.00% (pellet), 30 min
0.25 oz Simcoe 12.00% (pellet), 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 6.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 9.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Crystal 4.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Cascade, N Brewer, Crystal at flameout
0.50 oz each variety for dryhops in secondary; This is 1.00 oz total for all hop varieties... easy to buy!

Yeast: Pick one.. though WLP001 makes sense. Unless there's a suitable platinum strain available in the summer, then maybe that one.

What do we all think of trying this one?

I'll submit my opinion and say that I like the idea of the seven grains, seven hop additions with seven varities, while aiming for 7 SRM. I say shoot for a reasonable gravity for an APA or whatever style we decide on. If someone wants to make it come out to 7% abv, then they can just scale it up accordingly.

Wait! I've got it. Seven varieties of grains, seven varieties of hops, and seven varieties of yeast! It's perfect! That gives you the full lucky sevens. ;)

Torchiest said:
Wait! I've got it. Seven varieties of grains, seven varieties of hops, and seven varieties of yeast! It's perfect! That gives you the full lucky sevens. ;)

If one of us collected money and bought 7 types, mixed them all together and shipped out the massive starter that was created, it could work. We'd make our own strain of yeast.

Not that cost is any matter to me--but I'll agree that 7 varieties of hops might just make this hop suey instead of a solid beer.

I'm leaning more and more toward keeping this simple. 7 grains, 7 hop additions, I can do. :D

Chairman Cheyco said:
Oh yeah... real simple...

:rolleyes:

Well, I consider 2-row, munich, carapils, wheat and honey slam dunks (that's 5 for you math wizards). Add a little honey malt and we only have to come up with one more.

That shouldn't be too difficult while keeping it fairly simple at the same time.

What about:

2-Row Pale Malt
Honey Malt
Crystal 10
Honey
Amarillo Hops
Cascade Hops
California Ale Yeast

Seven total ingredients. That's simple as can be.

I was just brain storming and came up with

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

At 75% for 5 gallons that's 1.056 and an SRM of 7

Dude said:
Well, I consider 2-row, munich, carapils, wheat and honey slam dunks (that's 5 for you math wizards). Add a little honey malt and we only have to come up with one more.

That shouldn't be too difficult while keeping it fairly simple at the same time.

I guess... it just goes against my grain (heh) to add something for the sake of adding it. I suppose that's the point of this beer though. Time to live a little.

Torchiest said:
What about:

2-Row Pale Malt
Honey Malt
Crystal 10
Honey
Amarillo Hops
Cascade Hops
California Ale Yeast

Love it!

Can I make one suggestion though? I've heard Amarillo and Simcoe really work good together....how about those instead of Cascade?

Torchiest said:
What about:

2-Row Pale Malt
Honey Malt
Crystal 10
Honey
Amarillo Hops
Cascade Hops
California Ale Yeast

According to the Germans, water is an ingredient. :D

Dude said:
Love it!

Can I make one suggestion though? I've heard Amarillo and Simcoe really work good together....how about those instead of Cascade?

I've heard that as well, but isn't Simcoe pretty hard to get ahold of? I know they don't carry it at my LHBS, although I suppose I could order it online.

Brewsmith said:
I was just brain storming and came up with

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

At 75% for 5 gallons that's 1.056 and an SRM of 7

I like this idea! Easy to find ingredients, we'll get a nice light colored beer, with a nice mouthfeel. And 7 hops additions (of only maybe two or three varieties?). This would be pretty simple for a dim witted person like me.

Torchiest said:
I've heard that as well, but isn't Simcoe pretty hard to get ahold of? I know they don't carry it at my LHBS, although I suppose I could order it online.

I think Simcoe is pretty easy to find...if oyur HBS doesn't have it, they should, IMHO. They could prolly order it for you too.

One more thing, with these simple 7 ingredients, we could still make it a 7 SRM pretty easily too. :) And 7 hop additions. :)

I like 7 grains, 7 hop additions (doesn't have to be 1 hop strain) and an SRM shooting for 7. An APA in the 1.050 range and not overly amped into an IPA. Honey yes or no could be answered in a poll. Summer beer...

SRM
7.gif

Back