My batch of raw Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I always make my Crystal malt at Home . I bought recently some pounds of raw Barley and steeped a small amount of it , but only

10-20% showed rootlets .

I steeped them for 8 hours in water then drained and let them rest in the air for 8 hours and then again 8 hours in water .

I should notice that they are recently harvested ( about 1-2 months ago ) and as I took a look at them after 24 hours of steeping , I noticed that

they are relatively soft . I mean , they are so soft as if they were fully modified .

Is that normal ?!

Is that perhaps because of high degree of moisture , as they are newly harvested ?!

What should I do with this batch of raw Barley ?

Hector

That is not normal. You're saying that after two soak stages, only 10-20% showed roots, correct? With my malt, they are usually all chitting at least a little by this time. Then I do one more soak phase and a starsan rinse before they hit the malting floor.

I would try another batch, and if you see the same thing throw it out. Not worth the time IMO.

I would try another batch, and if you see the same thing throw it out.

I think 8 hours of steeping is a little long for these seeds . I'm going to try with a small amount and do it by 4-Hour-Intervals to see

if there would be any difference .

Hector

Back