Fermentation Fridge questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojacked

Reaction score
I've had a beer serving fridge for a while now and I've just gotten a fermenting fridge to do temp control. I dont have any temp controller yet. The fridge is an older frigidare with the freezer on the top. I was wondering if I really need to use a temp controller or can I just use the fridge temp adjustment to get it close and not really worry about it? The only reason I'm concerned because I'd really like to be able to use the freezer on this unit as normal but I doubt that will work with a temp controller. Does anyone have any insight on this? And as long as I'm asking I'd like to know if one temp controller is better than another or if it matters. I saw rebel brewer has a nice deal that's pre-wired for dual mode but its Celcius only, will that be sacrificing some of the accruacy on the unit by not being able to adjust it via Farenheight?

The only way to know for sure is to stick a thermometer in the fridge and see how well it can maintain temps. Watch it for a few days and see if it holds close to your goal. I bet it will be just fine.

I have the unit rebel sells but wired it myself. Celsius is fine.

I like the controller because I set the parameters and forget about it for the next two weeks with absolute certainty temperatures are right where they need to be.

I picked up a STC-1000 unit controller on eBay for <$25 - as 241 said, being able to set it and walk away for a couple weeks without worry is a really good thing. Wiring the thing up is a snap and there are good instructions/diagrams on HBT on how to do it.

As for Celcius - I just printed up a C to F conversion chart and stuck it to the side of the temp controller box. No lost accuracy to worry about.

with a temp controller on a standard fridge/freezer can you still maintain freezing temperatures in the freezer? my wife wants more freezer space lol.

thanks for the great replies.

That's what I was thinking but just wanted to know what to expect. I'll play with the adjustments on the fridge and see what it does.

bojacked said:
with a temp controller on a standard fridge/freezer can you still maintain freezing temperatures in the freezer? my wife wants more freezer space lol.

No, in my experience the freezer will stay at about 32-36 depending on your layering temp in the fridge, works great for dry aging beef though or holding bottles of ready to drink beer :)

I added a temp controller because I wanted the temp swing tighter but you can close off the damper that allows the cold air via the fan current to the fresh food area. I had originally used the t-stat in the fridge turned to it's warmest setting and was holding 48-56 degrees and -1 degrees with the damper at 2nd from closed. I added the control to the freezer and run the heat setting to a fan to draw cold air into the lagering-fresh food area. I now have 0* in the freezer and 52*in the fresh food area. Heads up Ice cream likes -8 or colder otherwise it gets soft

Get the Control Products controller. It's dual stage and reads in F. It's easy to wire and program. When it's set that's it walk away.
Slainte

Get the Control Products controller. It's dual stage and reads in F. It's easy to wire and program. When it's set that's it walk away.
Slainte

At what price? I have two STC-1000 for less then $18 and they are dual control. Yes I know converting C* to F* is VERY complicated but I can manage that for the price.

alright, I'm temp controller shopping. I don't mind a project so I might look at the STC-1000, I think I can handle the C-F conversion. I really like the way some of the STC-1000s look when flush mounted on units. I also like the Love temp controller but I can't see spending that much more on one just to do F when I;m going to have to wire/mount it anyways. Is there a reason to spend the extra coin on the loves controller over the stc-1000? Or is it kind of like buying generic vs name brand?

Exactly, that and the connivance. I installed a digital temp in F* on the other side of coffin to read coffin temp, new in box shipped off e-bay for .99 with free shipping. :rockin:

okay, stupid question time... I need the 110v model for a standard fridge 3 prong outlet correct? The 220v model would be for a monster appliance like a clothes dryer or a Herms system right?

Okay great, I've got 2 beer fridges now anyways haha. I'm kind of leary of getting the wrong model because the tech details and spec sheets on all the ones listed on ebay don't match. I just dont wanna burn down my new house ;]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-purpose...050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce3f147a

does this look like what I need? Do you have a preferred ebay seller? I'm not opposed to the cost effective HK shippers but I'd like to get it installed here soon and get these fermenters filled! I'm gonne brew up a 10g batch of centennial blonde, some reapers mild, a bonus brew, and a consecration kit.

It appears hes out of the game on the temp controllers now... I just made an offer on 2 hopefully I'll get a deal.

Thanks for your help!

Back